1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Infests Stores March 12, 2013

Discussion in 'News' started by Cristian_25H, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Oh I didn't realise there are people who plays Starcraft II for singleplayer not multiplayer. My bad, I thought its a bit like solo'ing an MMO (ie quite unexpected) :eek:
  2. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    Damn... Lord of the Rings should have been one movie... I really wanted to sit through 10 hours of film to get my moneys worth.
    lZKoce and Frick say thanks.
  3. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Hey, I do both. :( :roll:

But seriosuly, SC2 WoL is a full game.
  4. [H]@RD5TUFF

Thanks Received:
    Those aren't all released under the name Starcraft II so your analogy is invalid sorry. The game is incomplete, because not all the content is released in one game, END OF STORY!

The discworld series doesn't cost $40 + per installment! This is just greed on blizzards part.

LOL fail there fanboy, tickets to LOR didn't cost $40+ each
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  5. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Banstick Dummy

Thanks Received:
    I enjoyed Titans Quest WAY more then Diablo 3. It had a better story and the levels were far more divers. Nevermind the length of the game was twice as long as Diablo 3.

MMO's I cannot get into. Just seems like they are for people who have no control over their personal lives and need an outlet in a virtual life. Way to serious.
  6. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    They aren't for everyone.
  7. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    No it's not end of story. What about Crysis and Crysis: Warhead? Buy all the DLC's for Fallout 3/New Vegas or any other modern game you're easily up in those moneys.

And discworld does not cost $40, but €15 if you buy them new. Times ... 20 something? And what about the Lord of the Ring movies? Or Star Wars?
  8. [H]@RD5TUFF

Thanks Received:
    Euro price inflation is not a factor in this argument I can buy the books new for $6 each.

And again tickets to those movies, and DLCs don't cost $40+ each so again nope.
  9. Fourstaff

Thanks Received:
    Raynor set out to save Kerrigan, and he did that. So that makes it a nice enough end to me. Would you consider Halo:CE as an incomplete game knowing that Halo 2 and 3 continues the story? Would you consider George Lucas greedy for producing 6 Star Wars films instead of 1? Or Peter Jackson for making Hobbit 2 parts? Sometimes its economic necessity which makes it a need to stretch the IP a little further, and this is particularly important for games like Starcraft II where the need to balance the game and provide multiyear support for the proscene. They don't earn much money from you after the initial $60 you pay, yet continue to balance and mantain the ladder for years, and invite you for a free beta of the expansion. Very few games provide this level of support and bugfixing. Its also disheartening to know that GTA 4 received such poor aftersales support yet thousands of people are screaming that they want GTA5 to be on PC, yet a well supported game like ScII gets dissed for splitting the story into 3 parts. Even with that the 20+hr singleplayer mode is not completely out of the line when compared to its peers. I personally would much rather have a 20+20+20hr story rather than a compressed 20hr story, but each to their own.
    lZKoce says thanks.
  10. lZKoce

lZKoce

Thanks Received:
    $40 dollars is a pretty justified price in my opinion. Dustin Browler has talked many times about what stands behind part of Blizzards decisions. I get the impression hardly nobody in this thread has watched a single interview with that guy. In HOTS you get practically a whole new capmaign (I am not sure, but at least 20 missions) + cinematics + new units for each race + continuous balance adjustments. Aaaand a month ot two later the game won't be 40 dollars any more. Further, there will probably be battlechest edition, except for the collectors edition. This is not CS:Global offensive to cost 12 euros on launch day. Anyway, this is just my 2 cents, and this is only a game .
  11. acerace

acerace

Thanks Received:
    I just love how the people who liked StarCraft tried to shove it up to the throat of the people who don't liked it. Just nice. :rolleyes:
  12. Fourstaff

Thanks Received:
    Wut? If you don't like Starcraft, its perfectly fine by me. Its not a game which can be appreciated by everyone, especially the multiplayer.
  13. Maelstrom

Thanks Received:
    That's a bit of a stereotypical look at MMO players. The last MMO I played, most of the players I played with wouldn't have fit that description. Most were adults with jobs, family, personal lives, etc, who put that stuff before the game.
    3870x2 and Prima.Vera say thanks.
  14. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    People: "Oh my god, I hate how companies nickel and dime me to death with bite size chunks of DLC's! Whatever happened to expansions?"

Blizzard announces an expansion:

"Oh my god, this should have been included in the base game for free, bullshit!"

It's an expansion, so I'm buying it. SC2 is awesome.
  15. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    Already pre-ordered at Gamestop... they said they'd notify me as soon as they are able to take pre-orders for the collector's Ed, and then I'll switch my pre-order over to it.
  16. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
  17. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    gamestop will probably do the same thing soon, they did with WoL

EDIT: O wait... I just checked my receipt... and it DOES have a Beta key for HotS :) downloading now :cool:
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
    Ravenas says thanks.
  18. Tartaros

Tartaros

Thanks Received:
    I really recommend the game to the people who liked starcraft but didn't try this one. It doesn't make sense to miss a good game just because you didn't like other game from the same company, specially when diablo and starcraft are simply different.

Most of the grinding part on mmo's have been very reduced, where you needed months of playing to reach max lvl in wow before now you can do in a pair of weeks. Also I have seen far more "seriousness" and rage in a year of lol than in 4 years of wow for example. The only thing is you have to look for a good group of people and dedicate time to advance... oh wait, that's exactly the same thing you have to do in every online game if you want to advance. Curious.
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  19. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    I'm only reading the 3rd page, but the complaints are because of how Starcraft had three campaigns right off the bat, and the expansion Brood War also had three campaigns.
  20. Fourstaff

Thanks Received:
    Unfortunate state of the gaming industry right now. Games are made in such a way that they can be finished in a relatively short period of time, and fitting 3 rushed campaigns to fit that theme is not ideal. If you really want 3 expansions off the bat, you can wait until 2017 and get the battlechest (granting you 3 campaigns), and treat the current WoL/HotS/LotV as extended betas.
  21. tomkaten

tomkaten

Thanks Received:
    I'm with the "it shoulda been one game" crowd for one simple reason. The new zerg campaign will alter the multiplayer part of the game, and thus you will be forced to get it. Remember what happened to Bnet games when BroodWar came along. How many of your friends were stuck to vanilla SC after ?

If it was all about single player, giving me the choice to get it or not, it would have been fine, but as it is, I see it as clever tactics. And not in the good sense.
  22. Prima.Vera

Prima.Vera

Thanks Received:
    Don't get me starting with that too. 1 more reason not to buy EVER a game from those idiots!:shadedshu
  23. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    Post negative things about Starcraft II in a Starcraft II thread, you are going to get your feelings hurt.

Move along.
  24. Fourstaff

Thanks Received:
    I can see fragmentation going on big time, but with HotS beta have shown that there is not much difference between it and WoL. If you are good at one you will almost automatically be good with the other. The fundemental mechanics are still the same, but with different units. It boils down to preference, and eventually (within a year of release after balance is done properly) almost everyone will migrate to HotS. That gives more than 3 years of playability for $60, I can't think of a game with that amount of value outside Elder Scrolls and Halo:CE. Perhaps Blizzard will make a LAN for WoL then. HotS beta is there for anyone who wants it, to smooth the transition. I can almost hear people crying about "omg race X is now imba in HotS I will not play it", but those people need to grow balls and innovate their way out rather than spend their time bitching about balance.
  25. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    Nice I am preordering as well! Thanks for the confirmation.