1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

StarDrive - An upcoming 4X Space Strategy game

Discussion in 'Games' started by lyndonguitar, Apr 9, 2013.

1. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    if its a similar to sins I will definitely pick it up
  2. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    Does it have the tech trees and ship construction like GalCiv2? That is one of my top ten favorite games.
  3. lyndonguitar

lyndonguitar I play games

Thanks Received:
    it is similar to sins but the view is limited, its only top down mostly, but it has a lot more things on the 4x aspect, unlike Sins which is mostly an RTS

Tech trees are similar, you can research techs that provided passive bonuses, weapons, ship designs, modules, buildings, abilities, etc.

Ship construction is kinda the same, except you don't design the physical appearance. but as far as the modules and weapons, it is similar. and I find it better. you can spend hours and hours on the shipyard alone
    KainXS and MT Alex say thanks.
  4. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    has anyone picked up this game, I have heard nothing but good things so far, especially on the modability

I did see its view is from the top only and thats fine, I usually played sins like that anyway, I'm more interested in adding races, some said its easy to do.
  5. Mike0409

Mike0409

Thanks Received:
    I just grabbed this recently. It's pretty fun and definitely has a lot of potential. It feel's a little unfinished with the tech tree's and not all capital ship's and races are complete. Modding is definitely where it is going to be at. A lot of mod's are already in the work's, and the developer is very active on the forums taking in idea's and bug fix's. Not sure of what the road map looks like for future development and add-ons, but I'm sure there will be constant updates.

The only problem I see withe the mods is you can only have 1 mod active at a time. There are 1 or two mod packs, for example StarDrive Extended, has a lot wrapped into it's one package deal. Also another thing that drives me insane is there is no shipyard or ship builder outside of a normal game, meaning you have to be playing a game with the tech unlocked to build a ship layout ( or if there is one i can't find it.. I would think it would be on the main screen somewhere), unless you use the web developed one or offline Spacedock version.
    KainXS says thanks.
  6. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    thanks for the info on that, 1 mod only really does suck though.
  7. razaron

razaron

Thanks Received:
    Been playing it for a few weeks. It's mostly stable with the occasional misc bug (YMMV).
    The only thing that needs a lot of work is the AI. On normal, the AI is a roflstomp. On hard the AI gets +50% research, +50% production, +50% tax income and +50% hull HP. Personally, I'm not a fan of excessive cheating to overcome AI inadequacies.
    As far as quality of life things go, the game does a very good job. You can automate pretty much everything. One QOL feature that's very good is fleet requisitioning. It lets you rebuild all the lost ships for a fleet, and adds them to that fleet at the click of a button. The only QOL features that feel missing are the the ability to automate stored production usage, the ability to create squads in fleets and a better way to create custom trade lanes (currently you have to set this for each freighter individually).