1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Start menu default internet acces icon screwed?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by psyko12, Jun 20, 2008.

1. psyko12

psyko12

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys I need your help fixing the default access icon on the start menu, as far as google searches suggested default user access and all it only fixes the IE icon, but when I chose fire fox to display it's just a globe when clicked on it still displays IE's properties but doesn't start firefox instead. Help please? :respect::cry:

BTW it was not like this before, I just wanted a clean install for my browser.

[​IMG]

2. oli_ramsay

oli_ramsay

Thanks Received:
    Try removing that icon from the start menu, going to profram file folder for firefox, and doing "pin 2 start menu".

3. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    You generally set that via the Start Menu settings (right-click start menu -> properties).

I had that issues a while ago, and it meant removing it from the Start Menu, and reinstalling my browser to get the icon back, it was very odd.

4. psyko12

psyko12

Thanks Received:
    @oil: That's what I did, but unfortunately it's different, it should be like "Internet" and should have the icon of FireFox.

So.. Remove the icon via Start menu properties, uninstall FF (again) and install?

5. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    I was using Opera, so it might be different. But at least remove it from Start Menu and put it back. If it doesn't work, find TweakUI and rebuild your Icon Database.

Try that before reinstalling.

6. psyko12

psyko12

Thanks Received:
    ^ Aight, gonna find Tweak UI, and try that.. :)

7. psyko12

psyko12

Thanks Received:
    @Dark: I removed it then rebooted, then placed the Icon back from start menu.. No go, it's just a globe icon which when clicked pops up a dialog box which states "Open With" I'm puzzled, I had this issue too before when I clean installed FF2, I forgot how I made it work :(

8. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    Well, I guess the only way would be to remove it, and then add the shortcut to FF from the installation folder to the start menu.

9. psyko12

psyko12

Thanks Received:
    Yeah guess that's the only solution :(, btw I find this weird but I got 2 instances of Firefox at the start menu properties for default internet program.

[​IMG]

Anyway if theres no possible solution I'll just stick with the Pin to Start menu thing :)

Thanks guys.

10. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    That's what I had, I honestly can't remember how I fixed it though. I just had to use the Pin to Start Menu thing.

psyko12 says thanks.
  11. psyko12

psyko12

Thanks Received:
    Thanks though, heh might as well live with the pin thing, and forget about this :D :cheers:, but if any1 here is able to figure how... Do tell us, your suggestions are most welcome.