1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Started using IE7 on Windows Server 2003 SP #1 plus ALL hotfixes

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Alec§taar, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Someone who's going to find NewTekie1 and teach hi
    &, I actually DO like it!

:)

* I decided to redo this rig, it's been running solid for around 9 months straight, but somehow, I had it set so it would NOT use IE7, not even update/upgrade to it...

Ticked me off, so I 'scrapped' the old setup & redoing it now as I write this (keeping me up late, but it's just data restorations now, short work).

It was getting "cluttery" anyhow: Loads of install/uninstall scrap from software's I've tried, & decided against staying with, comparing disk defraggers, browsers, zip/unzip tools alone account for a good 10% alone @ least I could NOT get rid of easily, & my regcleaner wouldn't catch etc. + I was lazy, lol!

Anyhow, because of my "System-Redo"?

Well - I've found I actually LIKE IE7 because this round, catching Windows Server 2003 SP #1 fully hotfixed allowed it to install!

(Had it that way last time, perhaps it was the order of install I did, or that I did not patch IE6 @ all, first? Ah, Who knows! What I know now is, I am using it to post here!)

That is, it's nice, that is once you get used to some of the diff.'s (subtle or otherwise) & it's simple to use, & works pretty good!

(Fully patched, that is, & also running under Windows Server 2003 SP #1 + hotfixes "IE Secure Mode", XP doesn't have it (you can, but you turn off Java/JavaScript &-or ActiveX/ActiveScript etc. & do zones work etc. et al))...

VISTA packs even more into IE7 security-wise, than Windows Server 2003 does, even fully patched - something to keep in mind!

APK

P.S.=> Still an "Opera Man", but, this IS an improvement over IE6... by far! apk
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2006
  2. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I personally don't like IE7 all that much. It has the one set theme at the moment which I'm not a fan of, and with Firefox you can have more control. Admittedly it is an improvement over IE6, but I still think Firefox is a much better browser.
  3. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    There's things it does that perturb me, this site for instance? Acts a WHOLE lot differently than it does under FireFox &/or Opera (have current models of both installed here, the "big 3" are the ones I finalized on)...

E.G.-> Sometimes, going to edit, or cut & paste? Very different, dialogs for this site appear differently (I found this @ least, & it's not script-related or ActiveX controls either, that's all off in Windows Server 2003 by default in IE6 too anyways)

Also, in the browser itself, but this makes sense, diff. oem!

Well, & the popup menus are in diff. spots for right-clicks (tabs) & less commands than other browsers have... but, I can get used to it.

Themes I'm not "into" on browsers really, but cool once in awhile to make them look like MacOS X though, which I have done before... & yes, Opera + FireFox seem to have more going for them in the way of control, but, I admittedly haven't REALLY 'dug around' in IE7 yet fully either... far from it in fact, but it is like IE6, mostly imo!

It is...

It is, & so is Opera, but IE7 is a decent jump on IE6!

* "Not too shabby", all-in-all!

APK
  4. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    I will admit, IE7 is a major improvement over IE6, right until I start missing my firefox extensions ;).
  5. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtX™

Thanks Received:
    wheres the hotfix for IE7,ive been looking on ms site all day cant find it
  6. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    I can't say I like IE7, I prefer IE6. I love how IE6 and explorer are basically the same, I can type anything in the address bar and it opens in that window. With IE7 when I enter an URL in the address bar of explorer it opens a new IE7 window, annoying. Plus it still has issues with various sites, but that's just a matter of time.
  7. xman2007

xman2007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i quite like it tbh, its a big improvment over ie6 and seems a lot more secure, crashes less and looks better
  8. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    If I understood you correctly? That bugged me as well... but, there are options for it in IE's setup to correct for that... dig around in them, & You can fix that.

APK
  9. peach1971

peach1971 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Um.. did anyone else notice that all fonts in IE7 appear unsharp compared to Firefox?
    I installed it right after official release and just thought *CRAP & lol - damn Mickeysoft*.

Have a try and tell me that´s a very own bug of mine.