1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Starting to build a high-end "gaming/editing" Tower - *Help!*

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by Sabaku_no_Maiku, May 19, 2014.

1. Sabaku_no_Maiku

Sabaku_no_Maiku

Thanks Received:
    Hiya guys, I lived with computers, vfxs, video editing and gaming, and now I'm going to build my First hand-made tower, because I really need a performance and "stability" boost.

I'm really a hardware newbie sadly, so I really, Really will be grateful for any help. This is basically what I'll need this machine to do:

• High-End "maximized" gaming
    • Adobe Suite working, maybe even Nuke.
    • Live gameplay recording / streaming

So... Nothing really softcore, to make my light wallet happy. Just by myself I was thinking about 32 GB of Ram (I'm pretty scared those are a must?) and a GeForce 780ti. Are those a good idea? I think it would be much better to avoid Quadros since a lot of the work will be done with games, after all.

If you are so kind to give me some of your time, I'd like to hear from you some examples of setups you'd think are the BEST. I'm all but rich so even if I'd not like to give you budgets for now, I'm asking to actually for as much as I want to sacrifice for it to not go over 2500$, 3000$ at "headachace MAX".

In the end, Thank you.

2. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    Vario says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Missing an SSD! Hybrid drives are "meh", opt for SSD and HDD.
    Perhaps a less expensive case to cater for an SSD?

BarbaricSoul says thanks.
  4. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. RCoon

Thanks Received:
    They are faster than normal HDD's, the issue is they have to "learn" before you see the speed. I prefer to put what I want on the SSD portion rather than let some "intelligent" firmware tell me what should be on there and what shouldn't.

WD have an SSHD that has separated the SSD and HDD portion of its SSHD into separate partitions, so you can install where you like, but still only have 1 physical drive.

For me personally, it's not a worthwhile tradeoff, I'll prefer dedicated SSD and HDD drives. However OP might have a different opinion and think the SSHD is the Bee's Bollocks.

6. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    Well I wouldn't exactly call the SSHD the "Bee's Bollocks". Just personally, I would be happier spending on that 1440p monitor I linked in my previous post over getting a SSD. Aside from boot times and map/level/program loading times, SSD's don't help much else.

RCoon says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. RCoon

Thanks Received:
    But pretty numbers!

I'd also warrant a 1440p monitor might be a better use of monies, and look far shinier.

8. Sabaku_no_Maiku

Sabaku_no_Maiku

Thanks Received:
    Still really interested in ANY discussion guys. ;] The first setup is interesting, but I really like to hear more.

9. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    How about this:
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3MYMC

(you pick os and dvd burner if needed, can change case or case color, ex: white, or a different color cpu cooler, I picked the black for cooler and case because the price was good and its an inoffensive color)

Last edited: May 19, 2014
  10. Potatoking

Potatoking

Thanks Received:
    Two questions:
    Do you need 6 cores?
    Are you gonna OC your cpu?

I am thinking that 4790 + dual gtx780 might fit in the budget

something like this?
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3MZux

Vario says thanks.
  11. LaytonJnr

LaytonJnr

Thanks Received:
    Then plus cost of case, cost of a good 80+ Gold Modular 850W/1050W power supply. Optical drive and OS if needed also.

Layton

Folding for Team TPU
  12. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    Could even go with 16 gb ram and drop price another $100 with same performance really.

Makes the most sense for OP to go with Z97 in my opinion.

edit: you need cpu cooler too

13. Potatoking

Potatoking

Thanks Received:
    Sure 2x8GB now and another if needed

Vario says thanks.
  14. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    For the budget why not 4930k, asus x79, 780/780ti, 16gb 4x4gb 2133mhz, etc.?

15. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    @MxPhenom 216 please see barbaric's first post lol

16. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    Ill be on my laptop in a bit to propose a build. Theres much better 4930k build options than that.

Vario says thanks.
  17. Devon68

Devon68

Thanks Received:
    Vario and MxPhenom 216 say thanks.
  18. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    I'm sorry, but I didn't buy everything at one time, and did get the CPU, RAM, and MB from TPU's WCG team. But I agree, there are better options- http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3N2jZ

Crunching for Team TPU
  19. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    I don't know if you guys should push x79, maybe z97 is the way to go for this guy. Does he really need a 6 core as opposed to an i7 4770/4790k? Z97 is way more current. Devils canyon soon too.

20. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    Its just an option. I do wish that with Ivy bridge E, Intel also released X89 which had more current features like z87. More SATA on the Intel Chipset, USB 3.0, etc.

$2500-$3000 is a huge budget for a z97 build.

He can either do a z97 build, or an x79. Just give him more options, either go for the extreme high end route (x79/4930k) or mainstream high end route (z97/4770/4790)

21. M0rt

Thanks Received:
    OP, do you have a display, or will you be purchasing a new one?

For 1080p, a nice 780 or 290, and for 1440p, a 780 Ti or 290X will do the trick. I'm partial to Nvidia, but availability and price may make an AMD GPU the better option depending on where you are in the world and the retailer(s) you can choose. Do you have any retailer limitations? Perhaps Shadow Play will prove useful?

I agree with Vario and suspect that the additional PCIe lanes and CPU cores of X79 will offer you minimal benefit for the extra expense.

Do you intend to overclock your CPU, GPU, and/or RAM?

With a single GPU, all you will likely need (Devil's Canyon is still a ?) is a proper 550w PSU, and at most, 650w with an overclocked R9 and X79.

Case wise, take a look at the Phanteks Enthoo Pro, but the subjectivity of aesthetics cannot be overstated. Do you have any spacial limitations or size preference?

For RAM, grab a (2 x 8GB) 2133 low latency - voltage kit and you can add another set later if necessary.

The Samsung EVO seems to be the bang for the buck SSD titleholder at the moment and a 2TB HDD for variable use should be sufficient, but the amount of video editing you expect to do should determine your storage choices. How would you quantify/characterize your workload?

Help us narrow the parameters so we all can argue/debate more effectively. :laugh:

22. Shambles1980

Thanks Received:
    if i was spending $3k id probably do something like this to start it.
    But after a while of sitting at the pc looking at my options "probably a week or so. i would have changed everything twice and back again and changed them some more.
    so honestly dont know lol..
    but here is what i plonked out
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3NxGJ

Last edited: May 20, 2014
  23. Sabaku_no_Maiku

Sabaku_no_Maiku

Thanks Received:
    I'm not going to overclock my CPU, but I'd like to have a really, Really good cooler (argument about I'm quite ignorant on) since I live in quite a hot place and I'll do MASSIVE editing and RENDERING, other than Playing while recording!

Yeah, I'd love to have more options, I'm also going to buy a monitor, but I'll think about it once I decided (thanks to you all) what route will be "the one".

24. Shambles1980

Thanks Received:
    if your doing a lot of video editing and rendering then maybe nvidia is a better choice?

25. Sabaku_no_Maiku

Sabaku_no_Maiku

Thanks Received:
    Sorry for the double post, guys. Here is all the info I can give you from what you asked and, first of all. THANK YOU. I won't be able to do such an expense for maybe 4-5 years so this help is really a mine of gold, for me.

I do NOT need, after all, any resolution higher than 1080p, but surely not less. I live in Italy so I'm probably going with Amazon.it, and I'm also partial with Nvidia thanks to CUDA, since as I said I'll do A LOT of rendering and hard-cpu/gpu work. The main purpose being recording in live gaming.

I do not intend to overclock my machine, since I do not own -still- the expertise to do so, but I'd really like to have GOOD pieces for the RAM since I think I'm going to make use of those. A "a (2 x 8GB) 2133 low latency" seems really fine to me.

I will mainly work with External HDDs, I won't edit ever on a SSD since I would DESTROY IT, probably. The PC will actually be working almost everyday and.. Sometimes ALL, day.

Thanks again! I'm really also curious about what build you were thinking: