1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

State of the Gaming Industry

Discussion in 'Games' started by DannibusX, Apr 28, 2010.

1. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    It seems to me, at this time, that the state of gaming is at a crossroads. Video games are now big business, and everyone wants their slice of the pie. There is a problem, in my perception, brewing across all platforms.

Paid DLC:

Nearly all new titles feature paid DLC as a part of their new business model. It's a cool feature, to be sure, but it bothers me all the same. EA's project $10 doesn't bother me so much. They are attempting to grab some of the money from the used market, which overcharges like crazy I might add, and capture those profits for themselves. It makes business sense to have exclusive DLC available for people who buy the games new. But DLC seems to be a little bit out of control. Another EA title that I purchased, Dragon Age: Origins uses the Project $10 scheme, which I don't mind so much, but also has other paid for DLC side quests hidden within the game itself. I was pretty angry when I found this optional side quest, where I had to pay extra to access. I bought the upgraded edition of the game, but they want more money from me so I can complete the entire game and not just the storyline.

DLC map packs haven't been too big of an issue. Nearly every developer and publisher made the DLC available for free to PC gamers. I felt that the only reason DLC was charged on the Xbox was because Microsoft deemed it. This is why Team Fortress 2 never gets updated for the 360. Activision and Infinity Ward hasn't released the "Stimulus Package" DLC for Modern Warfare 2 yet, but it's no secret that they're charging a stupidly high price for a map pack.

DLC is a bane to gaming in my opinion. Okay, that's not correct, it's a double edged sword. It's very cool that DLC allows a developer to support and expand their products on any platform, keeping some parts of the game fresh for years (months). It's cool, I get it. What's not cool is making people pay money to complete a game 100% of the way through when the DLC is likely already included on the disc when it shipped. I'm a big fan of expansions. I've paid money for full expansion packs, and it is a good business model, just not as lucrative as the microsized DLC that is currently being offered.

Games in General:

As awesome as it is to see how far gaming has progressed over the years, the quality of the games has gone down significantly. Games are often rushed to production and released with bugs these days. "Wait for the patch" is a mantra that is seen across all platforms now. I'm not sure what the average age of people are on this forum, but I can remember a day when games were released and they worked flawlessly with their hardware right out of the box (may exclude PC titles). The cartridge era of gaming showed us what good quality control was all about. I can't recall any officially licensed games on those systems not working as they should.

I know that the hardware scene has changed a lot over the years, and development houses have to ensure that their titles work across a multitude of platforms, hardware, operating systems and other factors. That's a lot of work, and I appreciate the efforts they put into ensuring that their games do work for as many people as possible, even if they have to patch it.

Piracy and Guns

I don't talk politics too much, but you can see the parallells between software piracy and gun control. Piracy is a great excuse for developers and publishers to try and include new forms of DRM on their products. Gang members and criminals are a great excuse to limit law-abiding peoples access to firearms. Neither scheme actually works though. Ubisofts new DRM, which is hailed as the most draconian DRM to exist to date has caused nothing but problems for the people who legally purchased these titles, and other folks who don't like it come up with ways to remove the DRM or work around it. Criminals aren't going to turn in their guns. Criminals are not going to stop acquiring them either. My point is, the people who follow the law shouldn't be punished because of those who do not. Whether the product is a video game or a firearm. The big difference between these two products is that we actually have a right to own one of them (in the United States).

Final Thoughts:

The future of gaming is bright, but I can already tell that PC titles are going to be straight up ports of whatever console is the most popular of the generation. Amazing things are happening, but the PC market will still introduce new ways to keep people from pirating their work. I can't blame them, totally, but I think it's really lame nonetheless. I already have a small list of companies I will not buy games from, and I hope it doesn't grow.

Anyone else have thoughts on the modern era of gaming?

2. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    We have bashed the hell out of drm and dlc on these forums..lol
    It's garbage.

3. HookeyStreet

HookeyStreet Eat, sleep, game!

Thanks Received:
    I dont mind paying a small fee if the DLC is worthwhile. But paying for something that should have been included for free, like the whole Resident Evil 5 MP fiasco, is out of order!

4. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    You dont buy games these days, you buy into franchises. You don't play games, you become a part of a thriving community. You have to shell out many a $$$ to actually finish a game, and most games don't really end. When you "finished", you're supposed to go online, to buy addons and simply try to be the best at so you can go to the forums and brag about it. I don't like modern gaming. :(

Phxprovost says thanks.
  5. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Very few (any?) DLCs are worth the asking price. I don't like how the gaming industry evolved over the last 10 years either. It went from tons of experimenting (take the Sim series by Maxis, for example) by small developers everywhere to big publishers who's only idea of innovation is more intrusive DRM (Star-Force, Tages, SecuROM, constant Internet connection required, Internet required to activate, etc.).

Crunching for Team TPU
  6. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    I started collecting retro games again, new games i hardly buy anymore a few but not a lot. Mostly second hand or cheap deals.

DLC is okay if its priced accordingly and is value for money, rarely is it like that though.
    I do like xbox live arcade titles, i just recently bought after burner climax and rocket knight is coming out soon.

As for piracy, i hate DRM maybe thats why i buy on xbox 360 more than pc. Last game i bought on pc was Napoleon Total War and its linked in with steam which isnt a problem for me per say but i get the point.