1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Static pressure vs. airflow fans

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by KHIT, Dec 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    I never thought for a moment you were BSing me! :toast:

It sounds like what you're talking about is the motor quality that erocker mentioned, below. Yup, a high torque motor will help to keep the fan speed up all right against resistance, without adding more voltage and is another important quality metric. I'd forgotten about it, so shoot me. :laugh:

Indeed, as to sneeky above. :)

I never said there was any marketing gimmick here? :confused: And the dimples etc are the differences I'm talking about when comparing the quality of fans. The better fan will move the air faster at a certain revs than the poorer one and push back harder against air resistance in front of it, maintaining its speed better.
  2. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Typically fans that have less blades usually have blades that a larger and at specific angle, and a strong motor. These fans have more static pressure, hense why they are used so much more for pushing air through heatsinks and radiators, and sometimes front hard drive bays. Fans specifically meant for case fans and supplying airflow have a lot more blades. Take a look at the difference between the Corsair AF120 and SP120s. The blades are different, and the SP120s are stronger since they are meant to push air through things.

They don't have a static pressure spec in the spec table for fans for nothing.
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  3. qubit

Thanks Received:
    So at the same revs, those fans will move the air faster, hence giving you more pressure. Alternatively, they spin the blades real fast, to get the air speed up, like the noisy Deltas. It's quite simple and that's all I'm saying.

Dunno why people are making such a meal out of this, including you with your inappropriate snidy remark to me before. :rolleyes: You really should apologize for it.
  4. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    Nevermind.
    MxPhenom 216 says thanks.
  5. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Static pressure vs. airflow fans

All fans are both. Static and CFM is a measurement

So am I the only one confused by this question
    MxPhenom 216 says thanks.
  6. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    I don't need to apologize for anything. :rolleyes:
  7. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, you do. You're not man enough of course, but that still doesn't stop me putting you in your place with a suitably condescending post on you being such a d*ck with that dumb personal attack.
  8. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Read the OP, he clearly states he is looking at the new Corsair fans, and if you look at the series names they are set in those two groupings;)

So we went from Qubit being mad about smileys and wanting an apology, and then Qubit dives into an infraction-able offense of then calling him names? Qubit, I think you need to relax a bit man. Since I don't edit this section, the infraction is not mine to give, but as I sit here, you now owe him an apology.
  9. qubit

Thanks Received:
    I was personally attacked first after trying to help the OP - by several people - and nothing was done about that by the mods. So why should I apologize for standing up to a bully?

Even if my first post had been completely wrong on technical merit (it wasn't, at all) it doesn't give people the right to behave like jerks and then get away with it, does it?
  10. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    I don't see how emote icons and some sarcasm got you in such a tight bind, but as for now I think you should walk away, and not accuse me now of standing up for a "bully", as I personally don't care if either of you are butthurt unless it breaks the rules, which you did!
    Jetster says thanks.
  11. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Whatever. Not giving a damn is fairly typical of TPU management nowadays.

Read over those posts - you telling me the others didn't break the rules?
    sneekypeet says thanks.
  12. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtX™

Thanks Received:
    WALK AWAY JESUS CHRIST MAN!:slap:
    qubit says thanks.
  13. qubit

Thanks Received:
    I have, thanks man. :toast:

EDIT: I was confused once myself about what was meant by pressure and static pressure. Wikipedia soon came to the rescue, explaining how they're the same, here. :) This is the relevant paragraph:

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
    erixx and AthlonX2 say thanks.
  14. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    You sound mad bro....Calm down its just the internet.
    qubit says thanks.
  15. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    That quote says that pressure = static pressure, that's a no brainer. You initially stated airflow = static pressure, which it does not, so what is the point of the wiki link?
  16. qubit

Thanks Received:
    I don't like you any more. :cry: :laugh: Cheers matey.

EDIT:

Just to clarify those pressure/static pressure terms for anyone wondering about it like I did a while back and add a bit of useful knowledge. Nothing more or less.
  17. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Sorry you feel that way, in my experience, people that think this are usually on the receiving end of some flak, from what I have read in these posts, you started with an honest opinion with honest advice, you got some of it factually incorrect, or perhaps just got confused (I did too!) you were challenged on some of it, you then lashed out, got some back and now the community is poorly managed and your left feeling bullied and hurt.... have I got that about right?

You know better than most.... just report what offends you, don't react to it, that way we keep it impersonal and allow those who's job it is to moderate to do just that.... end of speech.

Thread going nowhere now and closed.
    Jetster, Chevalr1c and animal007uk say thanks.