1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Stay safe. Storm coming!!!

Discussion in 'Comments & Feedback' started by Raw, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Raw

Raw

Thanks Received:
    I wish all the best for the TPU people on here that live on the East Coast.

Hurricane Sandy is about 2 hours away before I feel her full fury around these parts.

I did take precautions for help making it through her.

Almost time to lock down all my pcs and unplug them.

If it's coming your way, I suggest you do the same.

MM... did you see Sandy yet down there?

Stay safe people.

Raw:toast:
    jgunning, Lionheart, Rowsol and 2 others say thanks.
  2. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    I am close to sandy as well... Predicted gusts are 50Mph when it arrives.... hope it's not that bad :-( I'm sure it can't be that bad though....at least we had warning, unlike the derecho that blew through here.

wonky day. emotions being pulled in many ways. I also just got an amped wireless access point from them to review that I will be posting here and on my blog shortly...
  3. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    We're getting hit by Sandy tonight. Lost power a few hours ago and the winds are kicking up pretty high here (charging up my laptop in my truck atm).

Hopefully we'll get our power back at some point tomorrow and the flood waters back out of the area and stay back after tomorrows high tide.

Stay safe fellow East Coaster's :toast:
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  4. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    Good luck folks
    remixedcat says thanks.
  5. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    i wish i lived closer to it, been drinking tequila tonight, feel like standing in a storm and pissing in my yard and yelling at God asking him is this is all he can dish out, and then cackle insanely

/shrug

edit: did something similar to this when my town got a tornado, it was only a F1, fucking media pussies had a field day though, i had a nice good piss
  6. Norton

Thanks Received:
    Good luck with that- attitude due to change a bit when you need to make sure the wife and young un's are safe :rolleyes:
    jgunning, AsRock and adulaamin say thanks.
  7. Batou1986

Batou1986

Thanks Received:
    I'm 5 miles outside Baltimore powers still up winds gusting like hell id estimate 40mph + gusts.

To the nay sayers you need to keep in mind the utility's like storm drains are not designed to deal with this much rain and we don't get wind like this enough for the power company's to storm proof there lines.
    Also we have very large poorly rooted trees everywhere next to lines, roads and houses that get wind and rain like this never so they come down pretty easily.
    Factor all that into a large urban area with millions of miles of lines to fix.
    When the power go's out so does my sump pump and its not coming back on for hours if not days, the water on the other hand will keep coming
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  8. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    committing hubris everyday brah

on a more serious note though, im just bs'ing, though sometimes i do wish a tornado would just come and kill me already. can't afford a psychologist ;p
  9. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    LOL woosies! You call this a supper storm? LOL.
  10. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    good luck in the storm guys. I'm quite a bit south of all the action... though its getting pretty gusty here. No rain or real heavy winds here... just some clouds and a gust now and then.

As for those of you in the storm... you should be fine as long as you stay away from the beaches and watch out for falling trees. The worst is gonna be the surge due to the high tides with the full moon, and of course having no power for a while. might want to keep an ear/eye out for tornado warnings.. these kinda storms like to spawn small-ish tornadoes.

I remember helping my friend ride out a few hurricanes in Houma, LA. They had no power, radio, etc but somehow still have a cellphone working, so I stayed on the phone telling them what was going on and where. they then told their friends, etc lol. I was like a little news station for a little while lol

@Phusius... there are free clinics if you know where to look

@trickson... its not so much the rating of the storm but the location and timing, not to mention the blizzard its gonna cause in some areas. yea you read that right.... hurricane causing a blizzard
  11. Batou1986

Batou1986

Thanks Received:
    No just a substantial pain in the ass and wallet as long as people use there heads we should all be ok.
  12. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    I think it is funny how when ever there is a storm on the East coast We hear about it for DAYS on end! Man it is like there is never any severe weather on the planet other than the East coast! LOL!
    It make you all look like pussies! I have been through tornado's, Blizzards and floods and never heard one thing about it on the National news! WOW just WOW! I guess it is a welcome break from Obama/Romney!
    Now get back into your bunkers you pussies it will be over with soon!
  13. exodusprime1337

exodusprime1337

Thanks Received:
    Feeling it here in Rhode Island. Thank god the power is still on.. I skimped on the household budget this year and didn't get a generator... bought a new computer instead lol...
  14. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Keep safe people.
    Widjaja, Lionheart, KieX and 5 others say thanks.
  15. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Seems to me that the flooding will be the worst problems here, not the wind.
    Remember that as the storm moves north all that water is gonna come south again in the rivers.

Be safe, my friends in the NE.
    remixedcat and Norton say thanks.
  16. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
  17. Norton

Thanks Received:
    Got some shots with my smart phone of the full moon peeking out between the clouds while hurricane force gusts are blowing around.

Pretty cool scene, hope they come out OK... I don't take very good photos :eek:
  18. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Norton says thanks.
  19. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    IF ANYONE NEEDS TO ESCAPE PLEASE DCOPWNDLOAD THE INRIX TRAFFIC APP O STAY AWAY FROM CONGESTION!!!

WWW.INRIXTRAFFIC.COM it's on al;l mobile plafroms android windows mobile blackberry and apple ios. it's very awesome and excellent inrix is awesome plese give it a try thank u
  20. jboydgolfer

jboydgolfer

Thanks Received:
    Anyone Else in MA??? It's Getting Pretty Bad here now,,,wondering if I should Power Down PC.
  21. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    lol yeah Sandy came through here. Its a run of the mill minor storm for Florida man. I don't even board up my windows unless its a category 3. I understand the panic for you guys. It must be crazy for ya. In FL its not that big of a deal. Kinda like snow storms for you guys. I survived hurricane Andrew. We had gusts up to 225mph, lasted 6 hours, lived under marshal law for a month and didn't have power for 6 months. Took 10 years to rebuild.

I wish everyone luck with Sandy. My prayers are with ya.
  22. jboydgolfer

jboydgolfer

Thanks Received:
    NYC looks Calm-ish , I Kept hearing a Strange "tapping" sound , went to investigate and found that Rain water was coming From the top{inside} of my sliding Door's!!
  23. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
  24. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Pro-Tip: Stay out of standing water. Looks fun but it can kill you.
  25. jboydgolfer

jboydgolfer

Thanks Received: