1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Stay safe. Storm coming!!!

Discussion in 'Comments & Feedback' started by Raw, Oct 29, 2012.

1. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    Good to hear. :rockout:
  2. patrico

patrico

Thanks Received:
    batten down the hatches east coasters tc and gl
  3. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    Not bad here at all...just some heavy wind gusts for a bit...Hope they can get things straightened up in NY & NJ....
  4. HTC

HTC

Thanks Received:
    I'd say the problem isn't the storm by itself but what else is happening @ the same time: the full moon + high tide + storm landfall.

In any case, it's size is monstrous: i've never seen or heard of hurricanes / storms that big.

Still, it will be a lot more serious if another storm, packing a "higher punch", hits a highly populated area, regardless of whether or not it coincides with full moon and / or high tide.

A while back, there were some rough seas + high speed winds here in Portugal and the waves were 7m tall and it coincided with the full moon high tide: quite a bit of damage in coastal areas. A few weeks later, there were worse winds and 10m waves but the damage was much less then before.

Why? Because it didn't coincide with the full moon nor with high tide.
  5. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm near Milwaukee (west side of Lake Michigan) and when I see clouds hovering just to the east above me from a storm that is hitting New York, it is indeed a "super storm". It may not be as powerful as many hurricanes that hit the tropical areas but this thing is massive. Amazing really. We are getting waves on the lake that are hitting about 14 feet high.

Check out this wind map. Pretty aweseome: http://hint.fm/wind/ *It's not scientific, but it gives you a good idea of how large the system is. East coast all the way to the Mississippi river!
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  6. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    nice! so if i fart due west you will smell it in a couple of hours. outside i go! :roll:
    AsRock, Norton, KieX and 1 other person say thanks.
  7. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah its an amazing thing to watch. I love storms. Its G-ds way of showing we are still his bitch lol.

Ive seen em bigger. About 10 years ago we had one that went from a lil' south of Key West all the way to North Carolina and it was a Cat 5!!! It never made land fall but it brushed the whole coast. I thought we were screwed, but nature was just trollin.
  8. HTC

HTC

Thanks Received:
    Katrina had close to 600 Km in diameter, IIRC. This one had 1600 Km just before landfall, according to CNN.

Katrina was a cat. 5 hurricane @ sea and was a cat. 3 on landfall near New Orleans, IIRC. This one, was a cat. 2 near Cuba but wasn't even a cat. 1 on landfall and yet it was far far greater in size then Katrina and, to date, Katrina is by far the costliest weather phenomenon to date in US.
  9. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    They go a lot bigger and stronger. Check out Hurricane Isabel as an example.

Katrina did so much damage because of the dikes being over 100 years old. Andrew had way more punch. Never mind the labor day storm.
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  10. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:

Yeah Ivan was the last one got us with 6 feet of water in the house.. And to think we live lower down the street were it was deeper last time..

It's one of the 3 rivers that get us..

Stay Safe..
  11. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Like I said before stay out of standing water guys. Also you and pull the meter reader right off the wall. Its made for quick disconnect. That way if your house gets flooded and they turn the power back on your not standing in a pool of electricity. Turning off breakers wont do it. Yank that meter right off the wall!
    phanbuey says thanks.
  12. HTC

HTC

Thanks Received:
    Nope.

According to this link, this is the biggest one but by just a little bit.

Assuming it's information is correct, in the Atlantic Region, this one surpassed the previous one by just 80 Km:

[​IMG]

Dunno about other regions, though.
  13. jgunning

jgunning

Thanks Received:
    Well Im in south eastern australia and thousands of miles away, so im very thankful that I dont have to endure this!but my thoughts and prayers are with all affected by sandy...
    It may not be "as bad" as other disasters but its still a disaster and wouldnt wish anyone to go through it.

Stay Safe all.
  14. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Gusts got up to 60 MPH here where I live, but not a whole lot of rain. I was on the windy side of the storm. NH didn't have it nearly as bad as other states further to the south and south-west.
  15. HTC

HTC

Thanks Received:
    Remember The Perfect Storm? This film was based on a real storm and they did called it "the perfect storm".

Apparently, they claim this storm is "more perfect" then that one because that one didn't hit land while this one did, and did so @ the worst possible time tide and moon wise. Like the one of 1991, this one also joined other huge weather phenomenon but did so already over land.
  16. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Not just that, but multiple low pressure systems merged making this a hybrid storm. Something between a hurricane and a nor'easter.
  17. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    I just got my power back on, went out on sunday night, good to have some juice, my generator did not work(I thought it did) so I was stuck using ups's I had around the house, but the food and my fridge went bad:ohwell:, stuff in the freezer is good though, did not get much damage besides flooding, but my neighbor did get his back wall knocked down, and the other had part of his roof ripped off so I will take what I got, I personally thought aww fuk this hurricane, nothing will happen, and tonight i'm going to be cleaning out my basement full of water :shadedshu
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  18. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    Ouch that really sucks... your fridge went bad? how?
  19. jboydgolfer

jboydgolfer

Thanks Received:
    Lived through Both, and I dunno About perfect , but Bob Was WAYYYYY Worse than this one from where I am. Wind of 200+mph during "BOB",but If it doesn't maintain for a certain amount of time they Don't Record it as official Wind speed. I also believe that The Recording of Event's like these was Much Less Accurate , and Official Back then , and even farther back.It makes me wonder, How "BAD" storm's REALLY got.
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  20. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    Hmmm. When you make a statement like this I imagine really old fat chicks with flattop haircuts and biker vests.

Chain wallets.
    remixedcat says thanks.
  21. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    dykes on bikes
  22. trickson

Thanks Received:
    Maybe we are being prepared for some thing big. I mean think about it, Isn't the Mayan calender running out? Dec 21 2012 last day of the planet earth or some shit like that?
  23. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    zombies
  24. trickson

Thanks Received:
    Sweet! I hope it starts with the east coast!
  25. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    For the most accurate depiction possible, watch Roland Emmerich's film 2012 because he really has some good insider info. See that movie and you're good to go for the end of the world! ;)
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD