1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

STEAM: 66% off everything Borderlands!

Discussion in 'Hot Deals' started by xBruce88x, Aug 18, 2010.

1. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
  2. Mr McC

Mr McC

Thanks Received:
    I'm avoiding this due to the Securom that is included on the Dr Ned zombie DLC. Certainly it could be argued that I am overly concerned about Securom, but I would argue that the obsession with Securom lies with the company as they are determined to install it on our machines, even if they have to surreptitiously include it in a single DLC component. What the hell is that all about? Steam itself is DRM and they seemed happy enough to use only that in the main game and all other DLC. I wish Valve would enforce a policy that all third-party DRM has to be removed prior to sale on Steam: I can't envisage many companies that would be willing to boycott Steam, given its popularity.

In any event, if Securom doesn't bother you, this seems like a great deal; however, if Securom is an issue, be advised.

EDIT: I think there is a thread specifically dedicated to Steam sales that we are supposed to use for these announcements.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  3. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    with games like BC2 DRM was removed in steam so no 10 Installs so i dont see how steam is bad?

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Mr McC

Mr McC

Thanks Received:
    So they remove it once and that means that we shouldn't criticise them for not enforcing a general policy to remove it all once and for all?

If you check Borderlands on Steam, there is no third-party DRM, nor on any of the DLC, except Dr Ned. Doesn't that seem a rather underhanded way of getting Securom on to your system? I mean, if they removed it on all other components, why is it there, is it simply an oversight or a question of laziness? Are we expected to check each and every DLC component of a given title? Such issues could be avoided if Valve obliged all companies to remove third-party DRM prior to selling via Steam.

Edit: This just keeps getting better - Securom is also on the Mad Moxxi DLC.

Here's a link to the related Steam forum thread:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1403478

Again, if Securom isn't something you worry about, go ahead and buy, but I feel that this is a rather deceitful way of installing third-party DRM on users' systems.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  5. grunt_408

grunt_408

Thanks Received:
    Good price.