1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Steam does not install from disk?!?!

Discussion in 'Games' started by 1nf3rn0x, Dec 2, 2011.

1. 1nf3rn0x

1nf3rn0x

Thanks Received:
    I'm getting really pissed off now. I uninstalled my mw2 since I had once in a blue moon 3 second freezes (only game to happen to) so a re install should do the trick. I've reinstalled mw2 plenty of times. But now, as I go to install it always goes straight to download instead of from the disk. The game is 22gb and with shitty Australian internet as it is, i'm not going to wait that long for a download. I've tried run: D:/Steam/Steam.exe install:E it didn't work either, so why the fuck is it doing this to me now? When I just ended school and I'm on holidays!??!?!

Any help please?!?~! I've deleted the local game chache etc and everything shucks ME DEAD STEAM

Have a look at the time of install

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

WHAT THE horse apples?!!?|!!{:?>tk,o;isdutd9ptghs

And also during the install, just as its about to start I hear my disk tray spool up then it goes straight to download, for a second or two I can see this:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2011
  2. Jaffakeik

Jaffakeik

Thanks Received:
    Just disable steam and install

3. 1nf3rn0x

1nf3rn0x

Thanks Received:
    It's a steam game? I think you need steam open to install.

4. SkullFox New Member

Thanks Received:
    Exit steam, disconnect internet and install it through the cd offline.

5. 1nf3rn0x

1nf3rn0x

Thanks Received:
    Trying that now..

6. v12dock

v12dock

Thanks Received:
    why are you browsing in incognito mode...:eek:

7. 1nf3rn0x

1nf3rn0x

Thanks Received:
    Games cannot be installed while "offline."

And for incognito, its just a habit I've had since 2 years ago like a little OCD xD. Weird right :)

This is absolutely gay, buying a retail copy, installing from the disk about 6-7 times and now out of the blue WOOPS IM STEAM AND I DO WHAT I FUCKING WANT AND YOU CAN'T INSTALL FROM YOUR DISK MUAHAH. FMD -____-

And to make it worse, steams Australian servers at there finest WOWO. I should be getting 2mb~

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  8. SkullFox New Member

Thanks Received:
    I know that the game starts to install from CD even before you login Steam so maybe just exit steam and disable the automatic log in and then start setup from CD. when he asks to login just wait for the installation to finish.

9. SkullFox New Member

Thanks Received:
    you should get 2MB or 2Mb because that right there is 2Mb which is about 250KB/s.

Also don't complain about that... I'm far worse than you...

10. 1nf3rn0x

1nf3rn0x

Thanks Received:
    I meant megabytes not megabits sorry. I should be getting around 2000KB per second.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  11. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    Sorry to go off topic, but you're still getting it wrong. Capital "B" is "byte" and lowercase is "bit". So what you just typed was equivalent to 2000 kilobits per second, not 2000 kilobytes per second.

qubit says thanks.
  12. SkullFox New Member

Thanks Received:
    hehehe... change the server... Sometimes I find that using a european server is faster than using the local (south African)

13. 1nf3rn0x

1nf3rn0x

Thanks Received:
    Ah yes i know. I am posting off my phone so typos are a definite!

theJesus says thanks.
  14. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    Well there's your problem! Steam isn't compatible with phones and I've never seen a phone with a DVD drive. :laugh:

In all seriousness though, I'm really surprised that you're still having this problem after trying all the suggestions in the thread :/

15. 1nf3rn0x

1nf3rn0x

Thanks Received:
    Steam should really create an easy way to force install from disk. Also lately for my otherfriends the multiplayer of mw2 uninstalls itself , weird.

16. SkullFox New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah, I second that! I have the GTA IV and GTA EFLC on DVD, but, I also bought them on Steam, and I can't make Steam install from DVD. That is shitty.
    Valve should make an option to ask the user how to install the game, through download or through a DVD/CD.

17. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Whenever you install from disc, Steam will always insist on getting the updates first before letting you play, to make sure you have the latest and best version. However, the updates can be as big as the original install, so using the disc saves you nothing and is why I never bother and always go straight to download, even on a new retail game I've just bought.

You'll have to disable this behaviour if you want to play the outdated version on the disc. I've never needed to do this, so I'm not sure if it's even possible. Try looking it up on the Steam support pages: https://support.steampowered.com

18. SkullFox New Member

Thanks Received:
    easy for you to say...
    I have to stick with 1Mb internet with 10GB traffic limit. I've been downloading LA Noire for a week now from 0 to 7am (Happy hour), and I do 1 - 1.5Gb a night.

Installing from disc will always help you; for example I had the installation disks for Shogun 2 Total war from a friend and when I bought the game on steam I just made the install through the discs and I had to download only 2Gb of updates instead of downloading 15.5Gb of data. Also, for GTA the updates are 2.5Gb and the installation is more than 16Gb... so it would help a lot.

19. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    It's not a matter of "easy". :) AFAIK you can't stop Steam from immediately updating the install and these updates are sometimes as big as the original install.

This is why I pointed to the Steam support page to let our OP try and find out if it can be turned off.

20. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    So maybe unchecking "always keep this game up-to-date" or whatever might help?

21. 1nf3rn0x

1nf3rn0x

Thanks Received:
    I just let the download run over night. 22GB in 9* and a bit hours!

[​IMG] for Steam servers

theJesus says thanks.
  22. SkullFox New Member

Thanks Received:
    That is possible, but, i was speaking out of experience. I never had a game install from Disk and than do an Update bigger than 50% of the install size.
    Anyway you have to screw a game really bad to have an update bigger than 50-70% of the installation.... heheheheh...

I have a few games that I install from Disk to steam:

Homefront
    Half-life 2
    Dark Messiah
    Shogun 2 total war

23. Gzero New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nah it is Steam's old patching system, in order to fix a big file normally a patch would make a copy and edit it. However Steam's system didn't allow for this and so that 6.9gb texture pack had to be redownloaded everytime there was a tiny change.

24. psyko12

psyko12

Thanks Received:
    @op : have you tried this method?

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=5357-FSQM-0382

Install from Disc rather than download from steam.

qubit says thanks.
  25. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    I hate Steam's Backup and Restore system as well, because I made a 400GB backup of all my games, and when I go install them on a new machine, Steam has to download crap off the internet to install a game regardless (and then starts downloading the game, which stalls the rest of the game installations), and by the time it gets through all the games it has finished downloading them from the internet and not copying them from my HDD. It's dumb.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD