1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Steam Family Sharing Beta

Discussion in 'Games' started by ChaoticG8R, Oct 14, 2013.

1. ChaoticG8R

Thanks Received:
    https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3784-QLBM-5731

I just got into the beta myself. I don't very actively play my relatively small Steam library (45 games, like 1/2 are Indie), but would be glad to allow some people to test the beta with me.

Following most Giveaways listed here to keep scary weirdos away:wtf:~

Rules:
    1) Must have been a member of TPU for at least 6 months
    2) Must have a post count of at least 50
    3) Must have "Thanked" or "been Thanked" at least 10 times
    4) Cannot own the game

Just reply in this thread why I should pick you as one of my "family" members to try out this beta. I believe I get a max of 10 shares, and I also think I can rotate who has activity and who doesn't. If you have a huge Steam library already, might be kind of dumb to enter, but maybe you also would be a good person to help beta test with, idk...tell me why :D

I will PM people with the info if they are selected!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Bro. We're totally family. You're like a young creepy uncle to me in every sense of the word "creepy".

Luffs you, see you on Thanksgiving!!:toast:

3. ChaoticG8R

Thanks Received:
    Rocker would you really be interested? I know your library is probably about 5x bigger than mine, but I think you would actually make use of it. Lemme know!

4. DarkOCean

DarkOCean

Thanks Received:
    on top of that big mountain on mars(Romania)
    Sure, if you think I'm worthy i'd like to be "adopted'' in that family.

5. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    This seems to read as though you have to use the same PC as the original account where the games are already installed.

6. xorbe

Thanks Received:
    That's what I got out of it too.

7. lyndonguitar

lyndonguitar I play games

Thanks Received:
    I just got it and It's currently not very good.

Most games work but there are minor bugs where it won't let you play shared games, especially games bought in a bundle. (e.g. Valve Complete Pack)

The most annoying feature of the SFS is when someone is already playing ANY GAME in your library, other people won't be able to play except the owner, the main owner gets prioritized, but if he plays any game, the borrower will be kicked out of whatever game hes playing.

For example your brother is playing Tomb Raider, You log in to your account and play Borderlands, your brother will be kicked out of Tomb Raider

Or you are playing Borderlands already, anyone who you shared with won't be able to play anything while your playing any game. Let's say one guy wants to play Arma 3. he won't be able to. He needs to wait until youre done playing Borderlands.

There is a petition here that can help put that feature of sharing individual games instead of the whole library. sign here :)
    http://steamcommunity.com/groups/familysharing/discussions/0/846964363954076359/

8. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    It needs work but since I haven't really been using my steam account this seems like a great way to have other use it without them getting tempted to abuse it. Its like my games never get wasted.

I'd share but I don't think they've accepted me into the beta yet.

9. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    The whole point of that I imagine is so a bunch of friends don't just buy everything for a master Steam account, split the costs, and then the developer only gets money for one game copy that 10 people played. The restriction is there likely to prevent massive revenue loss and make family sharing "inconvenient" versus buying your own copy of the game. Yes, I know people with their discs can do whatever they want, but digital distribution is a different animal IMO. Just my two cents.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  10. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:

If they want to make it game sharing, then they need to make it sharing of games, not accounts. I suppose with a title like Family sharing it leaves room for ambiguity.

11. ChaoticG8R

Thanks Received:
    It's no different then authorizing your laptop to play Steam and authorizing your desktop as well. So you could play on your PC, both my steam and your steam account, legally :)

12. lyndonguitar

lyndonguitar I play games

Thanks Received:
    This is just an official way of 10 people sharing the same username and password. The only difference is the individual stats and achievements, which isn't the point of the feature. and 10 people sharing the same account is even better than sharing the library, every single game works, plus you wouldn't worry playing in other Computers other than the "10 authorized devices"

What if the family master account goes to a point where it contains 100 games already?? 10 people contributed into paying these 100 games and yet only one could play anything at one given time. One person plays their newly bought Saints Row IV, the other one can't continue his game in Dishonored. One guy wants to play an old game CS 1.6, but can't because one of them is currently playing Skyrim.

I thought that Steam Family Sharing wants to imitate the "Family Sharing" people have in playing their non steam PC and Console games.

For example. You are three siblings who plays and have their own PCs.

Person 1 bought Game 1 and finishes it
    Person 2 bought Game 2 and finishes it
    Person 3 bought Game 3 and finishes it

Person 1 can now play Game 2
    Person 2 can now play Game 3
    Person 3 can now play Game 1

The Steam Family Sharing

Person 1(with contribution from Person 2, 3) bought Game 1, 2, 3 and shared it to Person 2, 3.

Person 1 plays game 1
    Person 2 and 3 can't play game 2 or game 3, or even their older games, because Person 1 is playing.

I agree though that they will lose alot of game sales in doing this, but I think it will attract enough new customers to counter balance the loss

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013