1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Steam Friends Server.

Discussion in 'Games' started by Thermopylae_480, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Thermopylae_480

Thermopylae_480 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Why does the friends server for Steam not work is it just me and my friends, or do others have this problem too? Nobody I know can successfully log on. It always delivers the message, "You have failed to connect to the friends server." Does anyone know what to do. Its been like this since I've aquired steam. I'm sure its something obvious and i'll feel stupid when someone tells me, but to put it bluntly,
    I don't care I just want a friends server :mad: !
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2005
  2. DaPunisha

DaPunisha New Member

Thanks Received:
    Its the same for me,ive had steam in 8 months and Ive never been able to connect to friends server.
  3. FatMaserati New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nah I have the same problem too.
  4. wazzledoozle

wazzledoozle New Member

Thanks Received:
    Never been able to connect it it. I did once long ago, but it said I didnt have an account :confused:
  5. Thermopylae_480

Thanks Received:
    I suspected as much.
    :mad:
  6. grazzhoppa New Member

Thanks Received:
    Valve knows about the problem but has not said anything publically about how they are fixing it.

Valve-Anti-Cheat 2.0 is their first priority for Counter Strike/source. I expect after VAC2 is released the Friends network problem will be taken seriously. VAC2 has no release date and about a month ago it was promised it was coming "imminently." Last Friday valve said VAC2 is coming "very soon." So I suspect the Friends problem will be fully fixed by the end of summer (August/September)
  7. Thermopylae_480

Thanks Received:
    I just wasted 40 minutes of my life trying to join up with a friend on HL2 deathmatch. Half the time there was something wrong with the server and the lag was extreme the other half we just could'nt find the same servers. This whole thing makes me sick :( .
  8. grazzhoppa New Member

Thanks Received:
    One thing the Steam system gives Valve is the opportunity to release features that aren't fully developed and still market their product as having those features - Valve can put those features into a game real quickly if people threaten lawsuit or false advertising. But the good thing about Steam is that players don't have to wait for large patches that are released infrequently.

VAC2 is probably the biggest coding project for the Steam system, as it has to work for the newer Source games and older Half Life 1 games at the same time. It is a shame that Valve can't put a few employees on fixing the smaller issues, like the Friends network, while they work on big projects.
  9. Thermopylae_480

Thanks Received:
    You are right. All in all I love Steam it has its definite advantages.
  10. AMDCam New Member

Thanks Received:
    Not only that but what I hate most is how unstable Steam is. Not only does it randomly not let you get to servers (from plenty of servers to 2 the next time you try), but with my system it only lets Half-Life 2 and Counter Strike Source play for about 15 minutes, always 15 minutes (not hardware, I play Doom 3 for hours and it's never stopped). With all the updates Steam gets, it's hilarious how they never fix the biggest problems. I love the bundled games but I would almost prefer separate games seeing how glitchy Steam is and how much RAM it takes up (but DOD redeems most of that, and DOD source just makes me hate Steam more for charging us to get it).
  11. wazzledoozle

wazzledoozle New Member

Thanks Received:
    Problem with that is that it cant be bought seperately, you had to buy their gold or silver packages, and you can only have one HL2 per steam account so you will have to buy HL2 again :mad:

Im not going to though..