1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

steam game or game in cd

Discussion in 'Games' started by heaven~lord, Dec 19, 2009.

1. heaven~lord New Member

Thanks Received:
    hey guys i wanna ask is their any diff btw steam game means which u buy at steam and download to play or the game u got on cd's(not pirated)

whts diff
    if their is diff
    which is better?

btw m with steam becuase it sometimes giv lot good offers on games and i got sources

and anymod plz tell me how can i add poll to this topic option isnt coming :|

Last edited: Dec 24, 2009
  2. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
    Technically there's no difference. However a bit older games come pre-patched off steam, so you won't have to install patches separately. Also if your CD breaks, you're screwed. But its always available on Steam. IF you are online. And steam is online.

3. heaven~lord New Member

Thanks Received:
    yup i know i got steam games but i wondered was their any diff because i hav seen lot people looking for games in cds etc but not steam :|
    does price of steam is more than orignal cd of game

4. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    If you break your CD you contact the distributor and get a replacement. Will Steam exist in 10 years though? I prefer to have something physical.

5. heaven~lord New Member

Thanks Received:
    na i dont think cd's comes with gurantee , do they?
    and i probably think steam will exist because they may earn a lot :p

6. Sensi Karate

Sensi Karate New Member

Thanks Received:
    Not really I think. Essentially you are just downloading the game on the internet instead of buying it from a shop. Steam however has the benefit but also the annoyance of updating your game automatically (but you can disable it... sorta) which is helpful or annoying depending on what the game is or if its used for LAN parties etc. Steam can also come with CD versions of the game, take for instance Empire: Total War. Many people complained about this game in particular because of steam not letting them install the game or instead made them download it off the internet, not the CD itself. However steam is also a new 'security' for producers and such to protect there games against pirates which is a good idea since many security features in the past have ruined games. Also prices are usually cheaper when buying from steam and there is often specials in which you can get multiple game packs for a very low cost. Steam doesn't have certain games because some companies haven't jumped onto the new system and so you may not find the game you desire. Indie games can be found on steam which is great for the small companies wanting to earn a few dollars on a game they made and most of the time they are really good, take for instance Goo World, Braid and Machinarium.

Personally I buy my games from my local games shops just because I like actually physically owning something. It really comes down to personal preference. :p

Soylent Joe says thanks.
  7. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
    Yeah there's always that question... but seeing as some of my first CD-Rs already suffer from data loss, digitally saved data might be better. And, in 10 years, CDs may experience the same fate as floppy discs...

8. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    I don't have problems with any original disks, Last year I played through Dune, worked just fine. I recently ripped my sam and max and dott cd's to use on scummvm and they worked fine as well. And I can still read a floppy disk if I'd really want to.

9. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
    Yeah my NFS3 disc from 1998 still works fine, too. But is it the same in 10 years, I dunno. And okay, that floppy metaphor wasn't the best.

10. heaven~lord New Member

Thanks Received:
    if a person giving u game on steam and second giving game in cd which u prefers?

i think steam becuase cd shiping also add(though it isnt much)
    but still steam we can get it anywhere in world where we got internet but not on cd
    so steam hav point +1

but as u guys said having physical thing makes u feel better +1
    but wht if u break ur physical cd
    and u cant even carry anyhwere .,,,,,-1
    like u went to ur relative and wanna play their u didnt brought cd
    but with steam u can download their only and still play
    but without cd nothing

so steam is better but still people like cd more
    y

11. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
    You can give a game to someone? That is news to me. As far as I know that is not possible.
    Steam has its advantages, I for one like it. I still prefer physical discs tho, having a case in the shelf makes one proud. But when I'm in front of the computer in the evening, all stores closed, possibly over the holidays, and want to play game A, then direct download via steam is perfect.

12. heaven~lord New Member

Thanks Received:

yup we can giv someone game through gift option

or else u can gift ur own account
    or else steam allow to gift someone a particular game or anything as gift option

13. Chryonn

Chryonn

Thanks Received:
    i wrestled with this dilemma also, especially during the five-day Steam game price slash-a-thon. in the end it was merely asking myself, do i need it as a physical copy? also if you wait long enough Steam do some brilliant deals over weekends. i bought Men of War for £6.25 while it was (and still is) £19.99 in shops.
    having said that, it's all down to how much the game costs: whether it's cheaper as physical media or online that's where i'll get it.

as for Steam still being here in 10 years' time, well i doubt they won't be going under. if anything they'll get bigger and bigger. in any event Mr. Newell has a metaphorical "Big Red Button" that he'll hit when he knows the Steam is going into liquidation thus releasing all games people have paid for offline use.

heaven~lord says thanks.
  14. heaven~lord New Member

Thanks Received:

so wht do u wanna say exactly u in favor of steam or not?

15. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I've purchased games on Steam and Impulse without any problems.
    The reason that I usually purchase a boxed game is that my internet connection is not great and when the games are 6 or 7 GB it takes forever. I would rather have the DVD. Much quicker.

16. mikek75

mikek75 New Member

Thanks Received:
    One downside of Steam which I've come across recently is that NFS Shift was patched at the beginning of December, but the Steam version wasn't (not sure if it has been yet).

Bonus for Steam is you can back up your games to physical media. Also, you don't need to actually be online to play your games as Steam can start in offline mode.

17. ste2425

ste2425

Thanks Received:
    so theres is no way to back up games youve bought and installed from steam to re-install without steam?

18. Chryonn

Chryonn

Thanks Received:
    i'm in favour of Steam if and when the price is right. all i care about now is the game not the medium it arrives in (digitally or on disc).

@ ste2425. i don't know of any way you can re-install any Steam game without Steam.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  19. Whilhelm

Whilhelm New Member

Thanks Received:
    This should be a poll, I was actually considering starting a thread on this topic the other day.

Personally I am on board with using steam to get my games rather then going to the store. It seems that most games are actually cheaper to buy from steam, especially when they have crazy deals going. A physical copy is somewhat irrelivent to me. I am aware that steam may eventually have some problems and the service may stop. If that happens steam is setup well enough for the user to keep their game data and play in offline mode.

20. zithe

zithe

Thanks Received:
    Any game that you register through steam can only be installed with the use of the client. If Steam went down, what good are those discs anyways?

21. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Honestly I think if Steam ever does go belly up they will allow you to DL your games without needing a steam client to run them. Its nothing Ive ever really worried about. As a matter of fact I think digital downloads are the way of the future.

22. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If I am not mistaken, you can back up your Steam directory in the event that you need to reload a HD. When you put the Steam directory back, Steam will not re-donwload what is in there.

Dislaimer : I might be wrong.

Soylent Joe, HossHuge and ste2425 say thanks.
  23. Chryonn

Chryonn

Thanks Received:
    oh you can back up copies of the game files onto disc - Steam even has a program you can do this with.

you can, as Kreij has said, and i have done many times, is copy the same game files to another HDD as back ups.

when the time comes re-install Steam and copy/move back your backed up game files and Steam will carry on as usual.

but to play them again you NEED Steam

24. JTS

JTS New Member

Thanks Received:
    ^This

I'm old fashioned that way.

25. HossHuge

HossHuge

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for this info. I was unaware. Does it keep your game saves as well?