1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

steam game or game in cd

Discussion in 'Games' started by heaven~lord, Dec 19, 2009.

1. wiak

wiak

Thanks Received:
    i got steam on D:\
    everytime i reinstall windows, i can just run steam.exe and get all the games working, no need to find the stupid DVDs of games and install them, and then have DRM problems must have DVD in drive etc to play

Steam is WIN!

2. DirectorC

DirectorC New Member

Thanks Received:
    I DO like that about Steam. I keep a copy of the steamapps directory backed up when I go to do a system reinstall, then copy it back over after installing Steam and all my games are there.

3. InTeL-iNsIdE Guest

I must admit that I am starting to like steam, though I only ever buy the weekend deals :laugh: :toast:

4. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    I like having the disks over digital as all it takes is your account to get hacked and i don't like having to run another program to run a game so i would pick D2D over steam.

5. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    The only games I have ever bought as a download are those only offered as a download (e.g. Hard Truck: Rise of the Clans). I buy disks because HDDs are much higher cost per volume than DVDs in addition to very limited operational costs of DVDs compared to HDDs (failures are rare, no power required to keep them spinning when even not in use). If there is a game I want to play, I just have to spin around, grab the disk, throw it in a computer, take x minutes to install, grab known-to-be-flawless patches off my server, and I'm playing in under 30 minutes. Steam can't beat that with download + install times. And about DRM, Steam requires an internet connection which means, over night, Steam can prevent you access to all the software you purchased for no reason what-so-ever. Once you got a game working either 1 minute ago or 10 years ago, the same method you used to make it work should always work now and in the future. There's no middle man okaying your access every time you just want to play something.

Basically, Steam has no advantage in my eyes.

And who would pay for the OC-12+ connection ($1000+/month) for you to get access to those downloads? If Valve goes belly up and no one buys them out, you're screwed. Assuming Steam would even let you play the games you previously downloaded, there is no way you would be able to legally obtain another copy of the game for you to play without a buyout or merger. Even if there was a buyout or merger, there's no saying the publishers whom own that content wouldn't pull the plug for intellectual property and copyright purposes.

Crunching for Team TPU
  6. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    No one has to pay for it man. Ya see you can ALREADY download ALL games from Steam and make your own back ups of the games. The only thing they need to do is give you a heads up they are shutting down and you need to make such backups if you already havent done so. If you read about Valve they want you to make these backups. They even included a handy little tool in steam to compress the files!

Personally I already have back ups of all my favorites. ;) Like I said before there is no down side to steam. Just ignorance of the system.

7. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    Valve says nothing about backing up anything in their legal terms. You know what that means without me spelling it out.

I will spell a portion of it out for you though:
    a) Unofficially, Valve wants you to make backups so you stay off their bandwidth and servers which cost them a fortune.
    b) Officially, they will disown their consumers should a publisher make a fight out of making backups without a kickback being to the publisher (this is why they fight piracy in the first place).

Crunching for Team TPU
  8. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Dude they include backup software integrated into Steam. How much more official do you want? Have you ever even used Steam?

Heres a tutorial BY VALVE on how to backup your games.
    https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8794-YPHV-2033

9. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    Valve hasn't gotten sued over it yet. That's when it becomes official and they have to alter their agreement to reflect that situation as it plays out. Valve knows that threat looms over their head. The major publishers don't consider Steam a threat as most are competing not only in publishing boxed retail goods but also in digitial distrobution (especially EA DLM).

This stems from the risk you take with all internet services and their flexible "terms of service." Almost every terms of service have a clause in there that says they can modify it without your prior consent. To quote a few...

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. twicksisted

twicksisted

Thanks Received:
    i find i play a game for a year or so max... then get the latest version or never play it again...
    I find steam is pretty usefull and have bought a lot of stuff on it

11. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok so IF they do change I wont buy anymore. As it stands NOW they are a full proof service that allows me to download games and back them up.

Also don't you think publishers know about the backup feature already? I mean really man your looking for problems that could happen but are not likely. Steam is great and you saying "what if the sky falls" really doesn't change that.

12. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    Well for me i say Cd's when you live in no wheres vile and have crappy internet about dial up speed you cant download big games

13. Chryonn

Chryonn

Thanks Received:
    ok, ok, we can all agree that each type of distribution has its advantages.

as for Valve/Steam going belly up, i'd stake my entire bloodline that that'll never happen. if it does then any of you can come over and end my life. that's how adamant i am about Steam never going out of business and, of course, that is my opinion.

14. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    You risk losing everything you currently have. Steam is DRM and it stands between you and the game. No Steam = no game.

Publishers know about pirates (all they do is backup their software as well) but they don't pursue them until they have an incentive to (like a huge hype game sells like crap). Valve is no different.

They are likely, it is just a matter of when. We're talking about money here, lots of it. Publishers dance to the tune of money jingling.

No one thought GM or Chrysler would go belly up, or the 130+ banks that filed for bankruptcy in 2009, or GE (damn near close to it), or NBC getting traded around like some Pokemon trading card. All it takes is one bad decision by Valve and they are gone. It is a dog eat dog world out there.

Crunching for Team TPU
  15. Jizzler

Jizzler

Thanks Received:
    When the revolution comes I'll be more concerned about composting my waste and zombie lookout.

Til then, I'm just going to sit back and enjoy my Steam games :)

16. SummerDays New Member

Thanks Received:
    Anyone know how to move entire game directories to a ram disk without Steam throwing a fit?

17. kurosagi01

kurosagi01

Thanks Received:
    well i like the fact with CD/DVD you can just install it and download patches at the same time while its installing,save internet speed in my opinion lol.

18. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Well its a good thing you don't need to be online to play Steam games or else we might be in trouble. :laugh: Again you risk nothing by buying through Steam.

So Valve is "unofficially" supporting the back up of games by including backup software IN their DRM software and publishers don't care because if the game is selling well they don't have to call Steam users pirates? Wait....wut? Do you understand how ridiculous you sound? I mean really. You are a SMART guy that I have a lot of respect for but this is just some backward ass thinking on your part.

Yeah I agree with you here but even if Valve closes its doors tonight Ill still be able to play the games I bought off Steam for YEARS to come. I am at no risk no matter what Valve does.

19. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    You still require Steam software and Steam software requires user accounts which are the sole property of Valve.

All I have to say is read the agreement you signed. It answers all your questions.

Valve holds the right to strip access from you for any or no reason at all. The risk may not appear imminent but that doesn't mean it isn't present. Again, the agreement spells it all out.

With a disk, the publisher can remove the right for you to do anything online involving the game but they can't legally reclaim the physical disk, packaging, nor key without legal authority (search & seizure). Once you throw the Internet into the fray, you basically forfeit all your rights to the corporation that owns that intellectual property--at least until the law changes (which is unlikely).

Crunching for Team TPU
  20. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    You dont need a internet connection to use steam games once they have been downloaded. Its no different than owning a disk. What don't you understand man?!

21. zithe

zithe

Thanks Received:
  22. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    You need Steam to play the game. If the Steam service shuts down, your user account won't get authorization and the games will therefore be unplayable.

I'm not talking about downloading it, I'm talking about the DRM aspects of the Steam software.

Crunching for Team TPU
  23. dr emulator (madmax)

dr emulator (madmax)

Thanks Received:
    hm .gif this thread reminds me of a time when i didn't have an internet connection and i downloaded and setup a steam account at my uncles house, now from what i remember steam needs you to be online to activate it obviously for the drm part and then it'll work offline, but if you have your system set to delete temp files (i'e tools/internet options/browsing history or a history killer )and steam did go offline (routine maintainence and the like) you might not be able to play even demo's (i know this fact because i have cleared the history and yes it killed steam when i was offline:eek:)
    but as for them disappearing i really can't see it happening any time in the near future

another thing i've just noticed is that jizzler has grown a mustache:laugh:

24. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    You need not look farther than the startup path for a Steam game to see how Steam is the middleman (DRM):
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe" -applaunch 12840

You run Steam to launch your game; thusly, as previously stated, no steam = no game--backup or not.

That's not just any old 'stasche, it's a super-duper-bar-handle-stasche.

Crunching for Team TPU
  25. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I can disconnect from the internet start steam and play my games. If Valve shuts down that cannot change. Its called "offline mode". How can anyone stop me?