1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Steam games lag spikes solution

Discussion in 'Games' started by a111087, Sep 4, 2009.

1. a111087

a111087

Thanks Received:
    Hi there,
    like the title says, if you got lag spikes going in steam games, this is place for you.
    For me lags started just this week and i didn't do anything major to my system, so I don't know why it happened, but here is what I did to stop it: stop Windows zero configuration service from starting at boot up. I have MSI wi-fi software that searches for wireless points, so, I'm still able to connect to internet and lags spikes are gone. :cool:

When I googled for this problem, I noticed a lot of people were complaining, so I decided to share my "knowledge." :laugh:

EDIT: Oh, by the way, I am not sure if that was only in Steam games or not, but I had only Steam games that were online... so... yeah. and lags happened every couple minutes or so
    animal007uk says thanks.
  2. Asylum

Asylum

Thanks Received:
    Fix = Uninstall steam!!
  3. pbmaster

pbmaster New Member

Thanks Received:
    Unfortunately that would mean not being able to play any of his Steam games...do you not like Steam?
  4. a111087

a111087

Thanks Received:
    ^there are a lot of steam-haters on internet and i don't get it to be honest. i like it and have no probs. with it at all.
  5. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    steams great. i love it.
    steam haters can go away. bad trolls.

anyway, please explain your situation more in depth - what kind of lag, what symptoms, how to reproduce it.

Are you on a wired or wireless connection?
  6. animal007uk

Thanks Received:
    i guess i lot of people hate steam because, they cant always download what they buy when they want due to ISP limits and stuff, i also don't like steam but not for any major reason its just i would rather go to the shop and buy the game i want as its nice to look at me collection of boxes lol.
  7. a111087

a111087

Thanks Received:
    i'm on wireless, as i already mentioned.
    I usually play on servers where I have very low ping (~30ms), so, it is very weird to have any lag there at all. but this week i was running and then suddenly everything froze for 2 seconds and then i teleported a bit forward. just take a look at this video and you will know what i'm taking about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDdCNOVRhak

how to reproduce it? no idea. may be turn on ms zero configuration service back on....:laugh: i seriously haven't done anything to my pc lately, i'm playing games and doing homework, nothing else. have not installed anything either.
  8. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    so its likely nothing to do with steam at all, and just a conflict between your wireless software and the built in MS stuff?
  9. a111087

a111087

Thanks Received:
    could be, i would change thread title to general game lag or something

i'm on XP, but this video can help Vista users http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4flWrKu0uxE
  10. mrw1986

mrw1986

Thanks Received:
    There's a program to fix this. I used it on Vista with great success. It has something with Windows checking for wireless signals all the time. Here's a link:

http://www.martin-majowski.de/wlanoptimizer/

EDIT: This way you don't have to disable Wireless Zero Configuration and the program also has a small memory footprint. I no longer run wireless however and completely wired my house for gigabit connections.
  11. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    ive never had any problems running games through steam. i hope you fix our pronlem