1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Steam Games Source Code?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Kreij, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Morgoth

Morgoth

Thanks Received:
    just posting some real stuff :)
    i just get one of my staff to write a propper letter for this content then

2. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Well your contest seems like a cry for help or at least ideas. Which is why I assume you started it. I'm just trying to help man.

Its obvious you are thinking about making a game or are perhaps already working on one.

3. manofthem

manofthem WCG-TPU Team All-Star!

Thanks Received:
    :slap:
    You really think Kreij has been writing, coding, and making a game and is afraid of it being pirated so he has enlisted the help of fellow tpu'ers in the form of a fake contest to give him ideas on a letter to write to pirates and/or potential pirates to make them aware that pirating is harmful? :nutkick:

I hope you're making a game Kreij, I'd pay for that :toast:

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Even if he isn't he needs ideas for him/someone/something. Can this really just be some random contest in which it is just being done for the sake of a contest? I personally don't think so. Especially when the prize is unknown. People are doing this to help rather then to win or at least that is why I'm posting. What are you posting here for?

5. manofthem

manofthem WCG-TPU Team All-Star!

Thanks Received:
    I think it's a contest for the sake of a contest, based on the solid premise that's often talked about, piracy. After all, it's hosted by Kreij, one who has hosted several contests of sorts in the past, recently just gave out a Veryex 4!

I could be wrong though, but I'd like to think its all good fun.

Crunching for Team TPU
  6. Morgoth

Morgoth

Thanks Received:
    btw what has the topic title to do with contents?
    this ist abouth Source code..

7. STCNE

STCNE New Member

Thanks Received:
    Never underestimate the generosity of the great Kreij :respect:

OT, I think he just ties his contests into stuff that's a hot topic around here. It's a lot more interesting than a long line of people just saying 'in!' and it means you have to work for it. Adds some humor to the forum, a well needed break from the constant AMD v. NVIDIA posts and arguments about which GPU OEM puts on the best sticker. Things of that nature(though that really isn't much of a problem here, more talking about other PC forums that shall go un-named with that one.)

As for the source code thing, that's just the nature of the stealth contests. It's to throw off people who are just looking for contests/deals to profit off of a forum instead of actually getting involved in the community.

8. Irony

Irony

Thanks Received:
    Presactly.

9. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    "My family is starving because you didn't buy the game! Support a starving programmer. :cry:"

10. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I'll clear things up here for you guys/gals.

Why am I having this contest (or any for that matter)?
    Because I can. I like having contests. I'm not a starving artist/student and I like giving back to the TPU community. No more, no less.
    If I actually needed something I would just ask for it. You guys always come through for me.

Why this topic for the contest?
    Purely random. It's hard to come up with novel ideas for each contest, so it's whatever happens to come to mind when I post the contest. I try to take something you are interested in (not neccessarily a hot topic) and give it a humorous twist so the threads are fun to read through. I give you an "assignment" because anyone can type "I'm in" and I know you guys are better than that ... and I make you prove it.

Why stealth contests?
    If you are a regular of the section where I put the contest you will most likely find it. The people who are not, will just view the topic (which has nothing to do with anything usually) and ignore the whole thread. This increases your odds of winning due to the lower number of entries.

Why an unknown prize?
    It makes you ponder what the prize will be worth and how much effort you are willing to expend in order to try to win.
    Cruel and unusual punishement? Maybe ... so sue me.
    I know how much the prize will be worth (how much I am willing to spend) before the contest goes up, but not stating it specifically allows me to alter the prize if something new comes out during the contest.

Why in the Gaming section?
    1) Because it's one of my sections and I don't have to burden other moderators/staff with having to clean it up if things go south. I know they watch anyway (it's our job), but I hope that they're here to participate too (if the rules allow).
    2) The Gaming section lends itself very well to all kinds of contest prizes, even if not related directly to gaming.
    3) Because I'm a gamer ... even though I basically suck at playing games. :laugh:

If anyone has any other questions, I will be happy to answer them.

Okay ... back to politely trashing pirates. :roll:

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
    brandonwh64, yogurt_21, Irony and 6 others say thanks.
  11. Wastedslayer

Wastedslayer

Thanks Received:
    I would post something like this on my Facebook/Twitter:

"So you guys have proved you are willing to pay 60$ for EA's trash, but the 5$ I charged to recoup my time spent was too much, I mean I realize were in a recession but what is that, a box of ramen noodles worth of cash. Maybe when Unicef gets into game design you can get your games for free but until then...."

12. purecain

purecain

Thanks Received:
    old kreij- youve managed to create a crazy thread here,

unfortunatly i cant join in this competition as the only game ive ever made is the one where our lass ends up sucking me off... :/

13. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    I would have thought you've been here long enough to know Kreij.

Official Entry: Coming Soon.

14. Irony

Irony

Thanks Received:
    Official Entry; the past is prologue.

To begin, I woould like to first address my loyal anti-piratical downloaders of my game. The unending support, as well as critical reviews you've given me throughout this endeavor of mine have been astounding.

Dear Pirates; (Specifically those pertaining to my game)
    As this is required reading to finish the last level as of version 1.3, (I designed an automatic patch for those nonlegitimate users) bear with me. I won't give you a speech about the illegal, unethical and immoral nature of pirating, as you've heard it read it seen it and hated it 12000 times; and second, because I am aware of your despicable attention span when it comes to interminable paragraphs. Also, at this point in your debased existence I fail to see how it could do any good. So instead, as nobody provokes me with impunity, I will petition you to burden yourselves with the task of exercising your imagination. Think of a person who has lost nearly everything, living in hope that the promise of years of his life's work will one day pay off. Now, if you would; observe the opening room in level 12, as it is a fairly direct representation of my current living situation. Except I only wish I could afford that bowl of ramen next to the computer. It's amazing, I've gotten a total of 236 sales; while somehow, hundreds of thousands of copies seem to have been downloaded, from just the more reputable torrent sites. I seem to have collected quite a cult following; strange, that so many would hold my game in such high esteem, while perfectly content to let me rot. I understand now, $5 was just an absurdly lofty price for something I've spent over three years of my life on; there's more happiness in giving than in receiving, right? And yet, somehow, I don't feel happy; quite the opposite, to be honest. Your immolation, however would bring me much joy. I regret only that I started this project; "if only I had known, I would've been a locksmith." That was said by a man who created the means to conclude the world. Whereas, I only created the means to bring about my own conclusion.

All the best,

_-Irony

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  15. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    I'm resolved to endeavor towards professionally envisioning object-oriented mega-synergies to sharply spearhead our key players as a component of my plan to stay competitive in today's economy.

yogurt_21 says thanks.
  16. Irony

Irony

Thanks Received:
    You be too garrolous. Lol

17. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    hey your moon calculation thingy didn't work current 384,000km, 85 million years ago, 380,770km.

anyway I see less than a handful of entries, what gives?

18. Irony

Irony

Thanks Received:
    Lol @ yogurt. I havent done that yet

Idk, I think people aren't very imaginative these days. Or maybe kreij's awesome stealth naming is working! Higher chances for us, heh heh heh...

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  19. Vinska

Vinska

Thanks Received:
    ...or the numerous non-US members just don't bother. For an obvious reason. :laugh:

Crunching for Team TPU
  20. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    All of my SSD contests have been worldwide, as I prefer to include everyone.
    The reason I could do that is because of the size of an SSD I can ship it almost anywhere in the world for less than $10, and being quite resilient the odds of damage, even in a simple padded envelope, is minimal.

With almost all larger prizes the shipping cost overseas can sometimes exceed the value of the prize and the likelyhood of someone receiving a damaged item increases dramatically (I don't want people to have to deal with damage claims as it can be a nightmare on international shipped items). I could repackage the item into a larger container with tons of padding, but then the shipping cost is even more! :banghead:

If someone has an idea on how to mitigate these problems I am all ears and would be willing to open the contest up to everyone.

21. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    I'm not a US member, but i can get a US postal address (freinds go back and forth) would it still be ok to enter?

22. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    January 2012? Why you filthy little rabbit! I am only shy by a couple months :(

23. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    I'm okay with that. The only reason it was US members was due to shipping. I'll update the OP in case anyone else can arrange something similar.

24. Vinska

Vinska

Thanks Received:
    Of all the international shipping I did, I can tell it's very dependant on the item being shipped. :(

Crunching for Team TPU
  25. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    I know, and since I don't know exactly what I will be shipping it could be a disaster. :(