1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

steam is pissing me off

Discussion in 'Games' started by Damian^, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Damian^

Damian^ New Member

Thanks Received:
    So i bought COD4 2 days ago via steam, and installed it then it said it was updating i left it on over night in hopes of waking up and being able to play it first thing.

well that did not work and apparently i had to update it all over again starting from 0%, i then tried updating it only to pause it to play some games without lag so i clicked on pause update then when i finished playing i tried to click resume but it the feature wasn't there, turns out i had to update it from scratch all over again.

So about that time i was really mad so i said screw it im going to play while it update, tried playing TF2 only to have the the server disconnect me saying Steam number ran out of time or something like that, so now im like shit, i checked the downloading process on COD4, and guess what it canceled on me again!

The weird thing is it says 100% ready to play but when i double click it it give me the message that its updating, you know the one where it gives you the option of "lunch when game is fully updated"
    Now when i click on the icon to play it says "this game is currently unavailable please try later"

so i went to the option and instead of automatic update i put manual update but still instead of going in game it still updates (starting at 0%)

Im going to leave it on overnight again well until i wake up haven't gone to be its 5:30 in the morning but what is the deal with that?

2. Richieb0y

Richieb0y New Member

Thanks Received:
    thats why i allways buy my games at a store i have a couple of games on steam EAlink but i dont trust it any more good luck

3. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    At least you got the game installed! When i first bought Orange Box I had to install each game separatly, rebooting in between each install. Steam was having a massive memroy leak and was filling 4gb of ram in about 2mins. :eek: . Which lead to the system locking up, I had to download EP2 off the net, cus it couldnt install that before the memory ran out. now thankfully, the latest steam client has fixed it.
    i did notice though, TF2 was doing the same as your saying after I paused it. So now I dont touch it, I let it do its thing and it seems to sort itself out

4. Damian^

Damian^ New Member

Thanks Received:
    i was going to buy it at my local circuit city but i figured it would be less of a hassle if i got it through steam...irony :rolleyes:
    :shadedshu never again

5. Pinchy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Go to your steam folder and delete clientregistry.blob (while steam is exited). Then launch steam. Steam will update itself, ask for your uname and password again and then everything should work.

Damian^ says thanks.
  6. Damian^

Damian^ New Member

Thanks Received:
    thanks i will try that..
    oh an by the way, i went to the steam COD4 forums and i saw a topic with the title "COD4 not downloading" i clicked on it to view it, and BAM...BSOD :roll:

7. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    Are you OCing anything? I only usually get a BSOD in vista with unstable OCs'

8. kyle2020 Guest

no way! :eek: thats scary man . . . .

9. Damian^

Damian^ New Member

Thanks Received:
    steam is hiding something from me <_<

10. Damian^

Damian^ New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah but not much, and its stable im sure the BSOD was because of steam though i have been having problems with it for a while...well since i bought COD4

11. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    Go to the steam folder then hit steamapps, common, CoD4 and click on iw3mp

12. Jeno Guest

^ that sounds like a good idea, or you can download the .gfc/.ncf files via a web browser

13. Skrabrug

Skrabrug New Member

Thanks Received:
    A mate of mine just pirated the install disc at a LAN and bought a CD key off ebay.

admittedly i had not thought of doing that myself but doing what he did the game only cost him $13 : /

14. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    I bought my cod4 key from a website.You only need the key to play multiplayer,you have to use a fix for single player.The only reason i did this was impatience,my mate had his disc so i just bought a key so we could play multiplayer.

Oh and i have about 40 games on steam and never have a problem with it.

15. Skrabrug

Skrabrug New Member

Thanks Received:
    i bought my copy of COD4 from Thailand because it was cheaper xD