1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Steam Issue

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Volkszorn88, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Volkszorn88

Volkszorn88

Thanks Received:
    Every time I try to open steam it causes my computer to freeze. I can't start task manager or anything... and I'm forced to turn off the computer completely.

When I click on steam it says "installing platform"... loads to 99% and then the screen goes away and the computer freezes. So I tried uninstalling steam and then installing it again.. now a screen comes up that says "running steam in compatibility mode is not recommended"... so I press cancel or OK... and as soon as the box goes away the computer freezes. I checked the properties on steam and none of the compatibility modes are checked off.

I don't know what to do anymore... I have uninstalled and reinstalled steam twice now with the same results... steam won't open and the comp freezes. I tried uninstalling a bunch of programs that are listed on the steam website as programs that may interfere with steam... I also tried doing a system restore... and so far nothing has worked. I also deleted client registry.blob and deleted all the other files expect the steam.exe, steamapps and userdata.. just as steam recommends.

I didn't do anything differently when this problem first occurred on Thursday October 4th. I didn't install anything new and I don't recall my comp updating or anything... I have no idea why this is happening all of a sudden. I tried scanning the computer and checking my firewall settings... but I still can't find the answer to this problem.

I also did the following:

To fix the issue:
    Hit start->run->regedit
    Go to key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers
    Look for a entry with your path to steam.exe
    Delete that entry
    If you dont find it there try HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers

And still it freezes. I truly appreciate any help, Thank You
  2. hitclub New Member

Thanks Received:
    Did you solve the problem ?