1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Steam on 2 pcs, on lan?

Discussion in 'Games' started by oinkypig, May 16, 2006.

1. oinkypig

oinkypig

Thanks Received:
    hey i have been wondering if i could play CS:S on 2 computers at the same time on a lan wit the same steam account. i want to build another pc for this so i can play with other friends on my network in my house. if i cant play it online is it possble that i could disconnect the internet and play steam offlline so my steam account wont validate itself, so i may "trick" steam into letting me play.

2. FLY3R New Member

Thanks Received:
    ummm, i have been trying to fittle with this for a long time. In order to use steam in the first place you have to connect one computer at a time to the internet and create an acount. then connect the other comp to the internet creat a different acount, then make sure that steam can run in "offline mode" on both computers. Thyen disconect both computer from the internet and give it a try, worked for me..

3. Corrosion

Corrosion New Member

Thanks Received:
    yes you can, i have 2 comps set up and i play lan with my friends all the time, sometimes u get a login error but just type your login again and it wont mess anything up.

4. Thermopylae_480

Thermopylae_480 New Member

Thanks Received:
    You can LAN, but you can't both play online at the same moment. If both have an Internet connection you don't need to worry about offline mode to play on a LAN, and Valve is fine with it.

5. KennyT772

KennyT772 New Member

Thanks Received:
    well your steam id can only be in one server at a time so you need different accounts to play in the same server.

6. incognito666

incognito666 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I run it fine on lan, i even had both pcs logged onto the same steam account at the same time, both downloading the same program

7. bruins004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I got an interesting question.
    Can you have 2 machines logged into the same account.
    One machine hosts a server and the other one plays on that server?

8. incognito666

incognito666 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah i allready do that, u will need to download the dedicated server tools on one of them tho