1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Steam Question

Discussion in 'Games' started by helloWorld, Mar 24, 2012.

1. helloWorld New Member

Thanks Received:
    I currently live in Army barracks where the Internet is absolutely terrible. I am at my parents house today where they have a fast, stable cable connection.

I was wondering if I could purchase and download Alan Wake from Steam, and then transfer the game files to my PC back in my room using an SD card or some other form of storage medium.

2. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    Yes.

The following folder is where steam installs games on 32 bit Windows (add "(x86)" to Program Files for 64 bit windows):
    C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps

Copy the Alan Wake information from this folder into the same folder on your laptop. When it first boots there will be a checking process, but it is not as bandwidth intensive as downloading the whole game.

cadaveca and helloWorld say thanks.
  3. helloWorld New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thank You.

Yeah, it sucks to have a nice gaming PC, but not good internet. Luckily, I get to move out of base soon, so I will have nice internet soon.

Thank you again.

4. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    /end thread.

:laugh:

I love STEAM for the fact it's that easy. Once you've activated the software online, you can play in offline mode, too.