1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Steam won't let you use credit card gift cards?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Phusius, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    My parents got me an American Express gift card for my bday, $100, went to buy the Paradox King Arthur 2 on sale now for 4.99 and it says credit card decline. I checked and it is activated with 100.00 ready to go.

Steam won't let you use gift cards like this? wtf...
  2. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Why did it say it was declined? Maybe you entered numbers in wrong? Remember, the name should be exactly as it appears on the card too (probably "A GIFT FOR YOU").

You could try using the debit card through PayPal. I never tried so I don't know if it would work but PayPal has worked in situations for me where the card, directly, would not.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Pre-paid credit cards like this are notoriously hard to use for online purposes. Mainly because your billing info doesn't match what is attached to the card, so most transactions are declined.

You have to call the company that manages the card(usually the 800 number on the back of the card) and they have to work their magic on their end to make the card usable for online purchases. Generally this involves you giving them your address and name so they can set it as the billing address and name on the card.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    You *might* have to go to the card's website and setup billing info to use it online. Had to do that with a Visa prepaid card and let me say it was a huge pain in the butt.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Oh, that reminds me, sometimes the store where the card is purchased fails to activate the card. It wouldn't hurt to double check that the card is, in fact, activated.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    call them, they will add your details and make everything work nicely :D