1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

steam's backup utility

Discussion in 'Games' started by Basard, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Basard

Basard

Thanks Received:
    Well, I'm trying to backup TF2 with steam's built in backer-upper. It gets about halfway thru the backup, and starts to SLOWWWWWW down, to about 1mb per second..... This is very lame. I sit and wait for it to CRAWL from 4gb to 6gb (the TF2 download was less than TWO GB!!) and it seems like its never going to end, I don't see how it can take so long to make an ISO of my TF2 game. I could scribble 1's and 0's on a piece of paper faster than this thing is working.

Is there a better way to backup your steam games?

2. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    why not just redownload steam when you reformat and reinstall the games you want? Or put the files on a CD and transfer them back into the steam folder

3. Basard

Basard

Thanks Received:
    Well, the backup wizard is making an ISO that I can burn to a CD. I only have 1.5mb DSL, so it takes about 5-6 hours to download TF2+Source files--screw that, already did it twice.

I recently had to re-install steam itself, because it wouldn't let me log on all day (friend had no problems so it wasnt their servers.) After I uninstalled steam, there were still files for TF2 and Source left behind, 6 gigs worth, it didn't even recognize them, and I had to redownload the junk. So, just putting the files on a CD wouldnt work--I guess I have to make the ISO with their backup wizard.

And by the way its down to about 1mb/3 seconds. I start playing TF2, while it's backing up, then It starts to haul ass back up to about 20mb a second, but lags me out of games, then I close TF2, and it starts slowing down again. It's taken over an hour just to make a 5gb worth of ISO, and I'm still waiting on another GB to finish.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2008