1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

SteelSeries 9HD Mouse Mat

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Frederik S, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Frederik S Staff

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  2. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    If the price was down I would consider it, but damn that is expensive! But that is the kind of pad I like.
  3. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    Get the 4HD, same material, smaller size. (Should be enough for anybody with a high DPI gaming mouse.)
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  4. VulkanBros

VulkanBros

Thanks Received:
    or the SteelSeries (SteelPad) 4D...
    A bit smaller - but with 2 different surface´s, one side with a semi-rough surface and the other side is smooth.
    Comes with a loose rubberbase.. works great for me....AND the price is "only" 16.25 €
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. PanzerIV New Member

Thanks Received:
    Then what's the whole point of getting the 9HD if the only difference with the 4D would be the size?! I'm a high-sens user so the current size is way overkill for me.

I just bought the 9HD at BestBuy for 39$CAD (thought it's 35$ on the net) only because there's a 30 day money back thing so I can test it for free. I'm much more use to the Goliathus Speed that I had before selling it few days ago. Now it seems like my mouse will have much more friction so it will move slower, make more noise and may be also wear down the mouse feets..

I'll have to try Quake later tonight as I haven't gamed yet with it and the MS Habu that the guy who bought my Ikari Laser gave me until I can order the Xai, have worn pads so I'll stick some replacement pads on it first. I remember the eXactMat from Razer that totaly worn the tefflon from the Copperhead I had within 1 year :/ so that is why I switched afterward to the Mantis then to a medium-sized Goliathus as it looked better "less flashy", was smaller and the performance was just a little better too. So it will either be the 9HD or the (Goliathus Speed Small Fragged Edition 13$) that I'll get.
  6. Snooc New Member

Thanks Received:
    Registered to post this:
    The tiny Steelseries logos aren't there for the looks - It's there to improve tracking. Every small logo has some micro-bla bla on it, which is supposed to increase tracking with laser mice (the SS Xai).
  7. PanzerIV New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah that's what I was thinking too but it's good that you can confirm it. I'd like to see if it's really true that it helps mostly for the Xai.. if only those SS batards could release it to NA before next year (-_-). Anyway, so far the Habu on the 9HD is really great for Quake.
  8. Snooc New Member

Thanks Received:
    I got the SS Xai, and will probably be buying 9HD around thursday! I can do a quick write up in this thread about it if you want! ;)
  9. Frederik S Staff

Thanks Received:
    That is pure marketing mumbojumbo.

First of all the area that an optical sensor uses to judge movement from is much small than one logo therefore they do not aid tracking. The only influence it has is that the contrast between black and reflected light is greater or small depending on if the sensor is placed over a gray logo or on the rest of the mat. It is important to understand that optical mice rely solely on pattern recognition and the pattern is created by the surface of the mat reflecting more or less light from the LED.

The pattern is comprised of black (surface absorption or deflection, scattering) or white (reflection) dots. So basically all the onboard DSP is to analyse two images and figure out the difference in placement of white dots and estimate the direction and acceleration.

Laser sensor do basically the same thing only with a higher intensity light that has a frequency beyond what is visible to the human eye. The higher intensity and other wavelength makes them somewhat less susceptible to interference.
  10. Snooc New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, then you should've put that in the review, writing that it's ugly, and not stating it's "supposed" function, true or not, Is not very good.

Don't get me wrong, still an exellent review!
  11. Frederik S Staff

Thanks Received:
    You are the only mentioning that they serve another purpose than aesthetics. SteelSeries have made no such claim in any of their information regarding the mat.
  12. Lionheart

Lionheart

Thanks Received:
    Can this play crysis! lol
  13. Snooc New Member

Thanks Received:
    Will be looking to dig the info up after school. I could be wrong, but i could swear that's what they are stating.
  14. mikeyhd New Member

Thanks Received:
    anyone know if it's better than the razer mat?

I have one (razer) and it work out nicely, but I'm open to change
  15. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    This is all personal preference. I know a lot of people love the Destructor Mat but I hated it, same with the Qck. Gotta try it out before knowing whether or not it's your pad. :toast:
    mikeyhd says thanks.
  16. BababooeyHTJ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Price is way too high. I'll wait for the larger Ratpadz XT that should be hitting the market at some point soon. :)
  17. PanzerIV New Member

Thanks Received:
    After all I really love the pad and I think more than the Goliathus or at least it's gonna be more futurproof as it won't wear out with time. I'll just send it back to BestBuy for refund since I found out the 4HD is exactly the same so why spend 2x more for unused space..

I also got a very good news today. The XAI will finaly be available in North America near December 15th 2009. About f*ckin time seriously.