• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

SteelSeries 9HD Mouse Pad

SteelSeries' latest mat is quite a tiger leap forward in terms of technology. Called 9HD this mat has the potential to fill the gap left behind from the elderly SteelSeries S&S mat which elevated SteelSeries to the elite of mouse mat manufacturers.

Show full review

Last edited by a moderator:

PVTCaboose1337

Graphical Hacker
System Name Whim
Processor Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.4ghz
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V LX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212+
Memory 2 x 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws @ 1600mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670 2gb
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256gb, WD 2TB Black
Display(s) Shimian QH270 (1440p), Asus VE228 (1080p)
Case Cooler Master 430 Elite
Audio Device(s) Onboard > PA2V2 Amp > Senn 595's
Power Supply Corsair 750w
Software Windows 8.1 (Tweaked)
If the price was down I would consider it, but damn that is expensive! But that is the kind of pad I like.

System Name Dust Collector
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
Motherboard Asus B550I Aorus Pro WiFi AX
Cooling Alpenfohn Black Ridge V2 w/ Noctua NF-A9x14
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3200MHz/CL16
Video Card(s) Power Color Red Dragon RX 5700 XT
Storage Samsung EVO+ 500GB NVMe
Display(s) Dell S2721DGF
Case Dan Case A4
Power Supply Corsair SF600 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Logitech G613
If the price was down I would consider it, but damn that is expensive! But that is the kind of pad I like.

Get the 4HD, same material, smaller size. (Should be enough for anybody with a high DPI gaming mouse.)

Last edited:
System Name Commercial towing vehicle "Nostromo"
Processor 5800X3D
Motherboard X570 Unify
Cooling EK-AIO 360
Memory 32 GB Fury 3666 MHz
Video Card(s) 4070 Ti Eagle
Storage SN850 NVMe 1TB + Renegade NVMe 2TB + 870 EVO 4TB
Display(s) 25" Legion Y25g-30
Case Lian Li LanCool 216 v2
Audio Device(s) B & W PX7 S2e
Power Supply HX1500i
Mouse Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition
Keyboard Scope II 96 Wireless
Software Windows 11 23H2
or the SteelSeries (SteelPad) 4D...
A bit smaller - but with 2 different surface´s, one side with a semi-rough surface and the other side is smooth.
Comes with a loose rubberbase.. works great for me....AND the price is "only" 16.25 €

Then what's the whole point of getting the 9HD if the only difference with the 4D would be the size?! I'm a high-sens user so the current size is way overkill for me.

I just bought the 9HD at BestBuy for 39$CAD (thought it's 35$ on the net) only because there's a 30 day money back thing so I can test it for free. I'm much more use to the Goliathus Speed that I had before selling it few days ago. Now it seems like my mouse will have much more friction so it will move slower, make more noise and may be also wear down the mouse feets..

I'll have to try Quake later tonight as I haven't gamed yet with it and the MS Habu that the guy who bought my Ikari Laser gave me until I can order the Xai, have worn pads so I'll stick some replacement pads on it first. I remember the eXactMat from Razer that totaly worn the tefflon from the Copperhead I had within 1 year :/ so that is why I switched afterward to the Mantis then to a medium-sized Goliathus as it looked better "less flashy", was smaller and the performance was just a little better too. So it will either be the 9HD or the (Goliathus Speed Small Fragged Edition 13$) that I'll get.

Snooc

Registered to post this:
The tiny Steelseries logos aren't there for the looks - It's there to improve tracking. Every small logo has some micro-bla bla on it, which is supposed to increase tracking with laser mice (the SS Xai).

Registered to post this:
The tiny Steelseries logos aren't there for the looks - It's there to improve tracking. Every small logo has some micro-bla bla on it, which is supposed to increase tracking with laser mice (the SS Xai).
Yeah that's what I was thinking too but it's good that you can confirm it. I'd like to see if it's really true that it helps mostly for the Xai.. if only those SS batards could release it to NA before next year (-_-). Anyway, so far the Habu on the 9HD is really great for Quake.

Snooc

Yeah that's what I was thinking too but it's good that you can confirm it. I'd like to see if it's really true that it helps mostly for the Xai.. if only those SS batards could release it to NA before next year (-_-). Anyway, so far the Habu on the 9HD is really great for Quake.
I got the SS Xai, and will probably be buying 9HD around thursday! I can do a quick write up in this thread about it if you want! ;)

Registered to post this:

That is pure marketing mumbojumbo.

First of all the area that an optical sensor uses to judge movement from is much small than one logo therefore they do not aid tracking. The only influence it has is that the contrast between black and reflected light is greater or small depending on if the sensor is placed over a gray logo or on the rest of the mat. It is important to understand that optical mice rely solely on pattern recognition and the pattern is created by the surface of the mat reflecting more or less light from the LED.

The pattern is comprised of black (surface absorption or deflection, scattering) or white (reflection) dots. So basically all the onboard DSP is to analyse two images and figure out the difference in placement of white dots and estimate the direction and acceleration.

Laser sensor do basically the same thing only with a higher intensity light that has a frequency beyond what is visible to the human eye. The higher intensity and other wavelength makes them somewhat less susceptible to interference.

Snooc

That is pure marketing mumbojumbo.

First of all the area that an optical sensor uses to judge movement from is much small than one logo therefore they do not aid tracking. The only influence it has is that the contrast between black and reflected light is greater or small depending on if the sensor is placed over a gray logo or on the rest of the mat. It is important to understand that optical mice rely solely on pattern recognition and the pattern is created by the surface of the mat reflecting more or less light from the LED.

The pattern is comprised of black (surface absorption or deflection, scattering) or white (reflection) dots. So basically all the onboard DSP is to analyse two images and figure out the difference in placement of white dots and estimate the direction and acceleration.

Laser sensor do basically the same thing only with a higher intensity light that has a frequency beyond what is visible to the human eye. The higher intensity and other wavelength makes them somewhat less susceptible to interference.
Well, then you should've put that in the review, writing that it's ugly, and not stating it's "supposed" function, true or not, Is not very good.

Don't get me wrong, still an exellent review!

Well, then you should've put that in the review, writing that it's ugly, and not stating it's "supposed" function, true or not, Is not very good.

Don't get me wrong, still an exellent review!

You are the only mentioning that they serve another purpose than aesthetics. SteelSeries have made no such claim in any of their information regarding the mat.

System Name Boomer Master Race
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7735HS APU
Motherboard BareBones Mini PC MB
Cooling Mini PC Cooling
Memory Crucial 32GB 4800MHz
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 680M 8GB IGPU
Storage Crucial 500GB M.2 SSD + 2TB Ext HDD
Display(s) Sony 4K Bravia X85J 43Inch TV 120Hz
Case Beelink Mini PC Chassis
Audio Device(s) Built In Realtek Digital Audio HD
Power Supply 120w Power Brick
Mouse Logitech G203 Lightsync
Keyboard Atrix RGB Slim Keyboard
VR HMD ( ◔ ʖ̯ ◔ )
Software Windows 10 Home 64bit
Benchmark Scores Don't do them anymore.
Can this play crysis! lol

Snooc

You are the only mentioning that they serve another purpose than aesthetics. SteelSeries have made no such claim in any of their information regarding the mat.

Will be looking to dig the info up after school. I could be wrong, but i could swear that's what they are stating.

mikeyhd

System Name My Custom System
Processor i7 920 (OC to 4.07)
Motherboard GA-EX58-UD5
Cooling Noctua NH-U12P SE2
Memory Corsair XMS3 TR3X6G1600C9 6GB DDR3 3X2GB DDR3-1600 CL 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) nVidia GTX 295
Storage WDC WD6401AALS-00L3B2 (596 GB, IDE)
Display(s) BenQ FP231W (Digital)
Case Antec Nine Hundreed
Audio Device(s) Realtek
Power Supply Cortair HX1000W
Benchmark Scores 3DMark 06: 24753
anyone know if it's better than the razer mat?

I have one (razer) and it work out nicely, but I'm open to change

System Name Dust Collector
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
Motherboard Asus B550I Aorus Pro WiFi AX
Cooling Alpenfohn Black Ridge V2 w/ Noctua NF-A9x14
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3200MHz/CL16
Video Card(s) Power Color Red Dragon RX 5700 XT
Storage Samsung EVO+ 500GB NVMe
Display(s) Dell S2721DGF
Case Dan Case A4
Power Supply Corsair SF600 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Logitech G613
anyone know if it's better than the razer mat?

I have one (razer) and it work out nicely, but I'm open to change

This is all personal preference. I know a lot of people love the Destructor Mat but I hated it, same with the Qck. Gotta try it out before knowing whether or not it's your pad. :toast:

BababooeyHTJ

Processor i5 3570k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z77 UD5h
Cooling XSPC Raystrom
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 1600mhz
Video Card(s) 7950 crossfire
Storage a few
Display(s) 27" Catleap
Case Xigmatek Elysium
Audio Device(s) Xonar STX
Power Supply Seasonic X1050
Software Windows 7 X64
Price is way too high. I'll wait for the larger Ratpadz XT that should be hitting the market at some point soon. :)

After all I really love the pad and I think more than the Goliathus or at least it's gonna be more futurproof as it won't wear out with time. I'll just send it back to BestBuy for refund since I found out the 4HD is exactly the same so why spend 2x more for unused space..

I also got a very good news today. The XAI will finaly be available in North America near December 15th 2009. About f*ckin time seriously.