1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Stick with 3570k or go for the 4670k?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Boozad, Jun 2, 2013.

1. BiggieShady

BiggieShady

Thanks Received:
    If you are gaming outside your web browser, upgrade your GPU.

2. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    if he already had the 3570k build I would agree, he doesn't though and can swap it out for haswell before it ships for the same cost, it's a no brainer imo eve if it is for just a 5-10% performance improvement, resale value is going to be better as well if that plays a part.

3. springs113

Thanks Received:
    Cadaveca...Do you happen to have the ASROCK OC FORMULA in hand if so can you compare it with the MSI MPower please. Other than the extra usb 3.0 ports, and I think cpu phase changers...What is the difference between the MPOWER and the MPOWER MAX?

4. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    I ordered a 4770K and ASRock Z87 Extreme6 this morning (current parts will be re-purposed elsewhere). I'm impressed that a lot of board manufacturers have stepped up their game in the audio department, and I'm excited to try out the new ALC 1150 codec. More native USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s ports are also a plus, though I don't use a whole lot of either. :)

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  5. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Expansion slot configuration. Maybe other things, I only have the MAX.

I do not have the ASRock OC Formula boards yet, but am expecting them. I have a lot of boards already, so I already do have a large amount of work to do before I'll get to them.

Both USB3.0 and SATA6 Gb/s seem to have gotten a bit faster with Z87. USB 3.0, seemingly in a big way. Audio is definitely one part that is getting more attention too, for sure.

6. springs113

Thanks Received:
    @ Cadaveca...Speaking of audio I don't remember if it was you that did the review on the new Creative soundcards, but, How does the onboard sound of the MPOWER compares to the new z series from Creative?
    One thing that drew me to the OC Formula from ASROCK is the LCD screen I saw on the board and the fact that it as wireless AC. I just recently bought the NETGEAR R6300 and would definitely like to try it out with an AC compatible device. My wife don't game or use her PC as much(she as an PII 955 BE system) and if I were to upgrade my system I could do several things, one give her my old system, give my HTPC an upgrade or 3 do my first option and send my wifes system to my younger brother.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  7. Cotton_Cup

Cotton_Cup

Thanks Received:
    lol if you can grab a 2500k for 80-100 cheaper it's even better XD well just me. but hey whichever fits your budget and if you believe a few fps or percentage is worth a couple of bucks then go ahead but if the hassy is cheaper then go with it.

8. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    I wouldn't upgrade.... the only way upgrading would be worth it is if you want to upgrade to a i7 3930k X79 Chipset or i7 4770K with Z87 chipset, Because of the extra performance you would be gaining. But if only upgrading from a i5 3570K to i5 4570K there is no reason to upgrade for a 5% to 10% performance gain and that is negligible after overclocking considering the i5 3570K is capable most times of higher overclocks.

9. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    He said there would be extra charges for changing his build late in the day so to speak, hence.. stick with what he has got already. If there weren't going to be charges for changing his build then I would also say change things, but as there is.. stick with what hes got there isn't any difference anyway.

10. springs113

Thanks Received:
    I also think the charges wont be that much that's why he is willing to take the chance and change if necessary.

11. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    Charges are charges. Any charge when simply going from Ivy to Haswell makes Haswell not worth it IMO. Even if the charge is something like £30, you can have a pretty decent night out in the pub for that :p

12. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    I'd say stick with the Sabertooth Z77 + i5-3570k

13. Boozad

Boozad

Thanks Received:
    I called up this morning and asked about swapping the parts out but the only way I could do it was to cancel the order and place a new one. I went that route as the Haswell gear worked out slightly cheaper and came with a free copy of Grid 2.

Excellent customer service from the manufacturer, I'm happy I went ahead and did it now.

14. Hood

Hood

Thanks Received:
    Damn, Dave, you're making me want to go for Haswell, and I've just built my Ivy Bridge system 6 months ago! If I come into some extra $ it's a done deal. I can always sell the Ivy system later....

15. Tonduluboy

Thanks Received:
    Just bought my 4770k today, including Asus z87-A mobo.
    The HardOCP site managed to reach 4.7 Ghz STABLE using this mobo. 5Ghz Over heat.

16. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Frederick does audio. Haven't had a creative card since X-Fi and some onboard Recon3D.

To me, Haswell is SB-E shrunk with iGPU added on, and all the issues of SB-E fixed. For overclocking, it doesn't get much better than this...at least, on the market now.:p

springs113 says thanks.
  17. springs113

Thanks Received:
    My parts should be here I bought the mpower and the 4770k I figured since this will be my pc for the next 3 years I should be semi good. The only remaining part will be a gpu...which I will definitely not skimp on.