1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sticky This If You Can Find A Solution

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Jdbody, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Jdbody New Member

Thanks Received:
    Anyone who can figure out this problem will be a hero and should sticky this post.

I currently have a 800xl agp....

Purchased a 1950 pro agp installed and it ran fine.

Finished a game that required the 3.0 shader and decide the card wasnt that great of a jump from my previous.

I returned the card.

I didnt uninstall the drivers, I forgot to...major dork error on my part, I usally pay better attention to detail than that!

The 800xl was put back in prior to removing the drivers and the system didnt boot...of course. I removed the 1950 drivers and booted the card up just fine.

Now I reinstalled the 800xl drivers and I reboot and I get a black screen.

I go into the device manager (Safe Mode) and notice that the display manager thinks Im installing 8 video cards. So when I install my driver, it installs 8 drivers for one card.

I reformatted/ took out the card/ took out my battery for mobo/ re-flashed mobo-NOTHING!

I did winflash, but it wont work because the drivers must be installed and, using safe mode doesnt work.... unless someone has a work around_reflashing the video bios, within the bios results in,"no adapter 0," or something like that.

I tried deleting the unecessary video adapters and after reboot they re-appear.

I'm pretty creative when it comes to finding work arounds, but this one is kickin me while im down, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Jdbody New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ahh darn it maybe its a sign from God that I need to get ready for dx10 cards to come out...replace it all is what Im thinking...PCI here I come!

3. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Allright, lets get this going and it has been posted before: ATI Drivers Stick Like Glue.
    If you have a driver Cleaner use it if not then.........
    Go to 'add remove programs' > remove any and all ATI drivers.
    Go to 'control panel' > DBL Click 'File Folders' select 'view' look under "Hidden Files and Folders" and check the box marked "SHOW ALL HIDDEN FILES"
    Using the "SEARCH" option under "RUN" > Search for all files and folders begining with ATI.
    Delete all filles found and DEFRAG HDD. Then delete all ATI cards in Device Manager and reboot.
    Upon startup install ATI Drivers as before.
    That should solve the problem.

4. Jdbody New Member

Thanks Received:
    This also happens after I reformatted my harddrive. The device manager shows 8 agp cards even before I install any drivers @ all.....but ill try this technique.

5. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Also it might not hurt to install and run APK Registry Cleaner found here @ TPU > Downloads > utilities.

6. Jdbody New Member

Thanks Received:
    Doesnt work...I guess its time for an upgrade =(

7. ace80

ace80

Thanks Received:
    ok Jdbody, try this.....

Open up command prompt(start/run type cmd)
    then input these 2 lines exactly:
    Set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
    Devmgmt.msc

This opens up device manager, hit the view tab and select show hidden devices.
    Now expand display adapters, items in bold are in use and greyed out items are not, just right click all the unused ones and uninstall them.
    Reboot and all should be well.

I had a similar prob a while back, this worked.
    Hope it helps :)

8. Jdbody New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well nothing works, the card is in need of a huge band aid in which I can't even produce.

Yesterday I purchased the 1950 pro again and everything is running fiine. I'm just not impressed with the performance differences...but I gotta play my games =)

Thanks for all of your suggestions, I did learn a few things despite not finding a solution.......Good days