1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Still not quite sure....

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by farlex85, Dec 31, 2007.

1. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I cannot seem to decide which way to go when it comes to the new video card. Let me preface this by saying that I don't really care about benchmarks or max frames, 30 or so per sec will do me just fine. However, I would like to play the latest and greatest in games (i.e. Crysis), and I would like the card to last a while. Also, I am a college student and currently my funds are limited.

So, I am leaning towards evga's 8800 gts for the reason of its step-up program. If what I have been reading is true, I will be able to step up to a 9800 when they are released in a couple of months. Anyone done this before? Thing is, I know that is the best card of the bunch I am looking at (8800 GT 512, 8800 GTS 512, 3870 512, 3850 512), however as far as best bang for your buck it seems to perhaps be the worst. Thats why, taking into consideration what I am looking for, I was wondering if one of these other cards will suffice.

Also, how important is dx 10.1? Is that going to be a big jump or just a minor improvement?

2. Hawk1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Don't know about the step up program, but what if the release of the 9800's get delayed beyond the 90 days? If you get screwed that way, and can wait a bit, I would until you get more solid confirmations of the release date. 8800gt and 3870's seem to be the best bang for the buck right now (with the gt having a better performance edge over it), but to be honest, I think your CPU would bottleneck most of the cards you listed, so consider changing that at some point also. Also, DX10.1 doesnt mean squat right now (esp. if your not switching to Vista any time soon). Maybe in 9-12 months, but I doubt it even then.

farlex85 says thanks.
  3. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    get a 8800GT 512mb and 10.1 is pointless the game will just step you down to DX10 like it would DX9 cards etc.

4. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yea, I was worried about the release date too. I have read it is projected to be in february, but if I were to buy it today the step up would run through the beginning of april so I hope it would be ok.

Also, yea I do know my cpu will do some bnecking, and I am going to upgrade that and to vista in steps. On account of my limited banking account, I am upgrading over the course of several months. I was thinking that although I might have some bottlenecking, it will still be a major improvement over what I got now and when I get the new processor it will be solid. Thanks for the reply.

5. Silverel

Silverel

Thanks Received:
    They're all good cards, just grab the one you feel comfortable paying for. When you're talking about price/performance, they're all in the same class. Future-proofing doesn't mean much, as the next new games are going to break any current videocard. If you go for top of the line now, it'll last a year or two before something comes out that it's gonna choke on. Or buy for a couple hundred bucks cheaper, and play all the games that are out now.

My personal recommendation would the 3850, it is the cheapness, and should net you 30 fps in most games at higher settings. Crysis is ridiculous though, I'm sure you could step that back a few notches and get decent quality with good framerates though. Not to mention, most of these cards are pretty overclockable, and in the next few months with all the modded bios' and driver fixes, they should keep getting better over the next 6 months.

Neither dx10 or 10.1 are really worth it for any game. Too big of a performance hit for too little payoff. 10.1 forces AA on the hardware level, along with a couple other things optional in 10.0 being forced. It's more of an update to maintain compatibility and standards, though a few games have seen fps increases.

farlex85 says thanks.
  6. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    with a little ocing that PD should last you ok for a good bit longer

farlex85 says thanks.
  7. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    "suffice"? Yes. It (8800GT) is the best card in terms of price vs. performance. Of course there is ALWAYS something better coming around the corner.

8. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, future proofing means nothing with simply keeping the same hardware, although not always. I don't know exactly how old my x700 is, but I would wager at least a 4-5 years, and I actually can play virtually anything made 2 or more years ago max. HL2 max everything and smooth. Oblivion only does about med settings, and most stuff after that only plays marginally well. But for an old card under $50, thats not too shabby.

Also I have seen many people here sell their cards on ebay once the new ones come out. This is another reason I was thinking of going for the GTS, as it should retain its value somewhat even if the step up doesn't work. Just my thoughts, why this is so tough for me to decide. Thanks.

9. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    well the 8800GTS 512mb is one hell of a card that gives the 8800GTX a run for its money in every game/benchmark

10. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Does anyone know when the prices are supposed to drop. I though it was speculated they would drop some after christmas but as of yet no drop.

11. jpierce55

Thanks Received:
    farlex85 says thanks.
  12. das müffin mann

das müffin mann New Member

Thanks Received:
    i would personally go with the 3800

13. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    HD 3850 512mb.

Nuff said.

14. jpierce55

Thanks Received:
    If you can get an 8800 gt for $250 or less, esp with an aftermarket cooler like the one I listed, the 3870/3850 is pointless. Yes it is a good card, only if the price difference is right.

15. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received: