1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

:) ( -Storage Advice...)

Discussion in 'Storage' started by 1933 Poker, Nov 4, 2009.

1. 1933 Poker

1933 Poker New Member

Thanks Received:
    This may help anyone who has had stability problems before with any Windows. I have experienced that using a single oversized drive as the Windows install drive doesn't work for me so if anyone has had this problem then I have a solution for you.

Before I used to have a single 750GB WD HDD and I found that Windows Vista HP kept corrupting itself causing a wealth of problems with NO comeback or solutions available. I struggled reinstalling every couple of weeks which this went on for a few months , UNTIL , I discoverd using a smaller HDD for a Windows install and having a large HDD for other things (games and apps) fixed this unfixable problem immediatey. I haven't had any issues with HDD in last couple of months with this setup and now I am sharing it with you. I use an 80GB HDD for Windows and a 500GB HDD for games and storage. I can see now why they brought out SSD's for this reason.
  2. Polaris573

Polaris573 Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:
    That's interesting I've never had a similar problem nor heard of such a thing. Although I always recommend that operating systems be installed on a separate partition/drive in order to make the inevitable format simpler.
  3. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    I've never experienced or heard of this either. In fact I've always had Windows installed on a large drive. Right now Win7 is installed on a 500GB in both my main machine and my EeePC. Vista ran on both fine for well over a year before that(almost 2 years for my main rig).
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  4. InTeL-iNsIdE Guest

Are you sure you havent got any bad sectors on the disk and thats what was causing the OS to become unstable, now its only being used as storage you might not have any issues with it until its too late :wtf:
  5. 1933 Poker

1933 Poker New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey in your siggy is that a shot from Tomb Raider Anniversary?
  6. Polaris573

Polaris573 Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:
    No, it's the statue of Atlas from Rockefeller Center. ;)

I wouldn't be surprised if it was used in the game, It's a fairly iconic statue. However, I've never played it so I can't say for sure.
    1933 Poker says thanks.
  7. francis511

francis511

Thanks Received:
    It was prolly a different problem you know , but if it works don`t knock it !
    1933 Poker says thanks.
  8. 1933 Poker

1933 Poker New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes actually it IS in The Game!! Believe it or not!! It also features another similar statue I cannot remember either. Great Game!:wtf:
  9. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    "Windows Vista HP" ??

Either way, I've never experienced that, I'm running Windows 7 on a 640GB RAID 0 array so it's nothing to do with how large it is. It sounds more like the drive is at fault and as the OS drive is used more regularly you are seeing corruption creep in a lot faster.
  10. 1933 Poker

1933 Poker New Member

Thanks Received:
    That's a good way to put it, actually.:toast: