1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Strange 7600GT AGP Overclocking

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by doveman, Sep 28, 2007.

1. doveman New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've just bought an XFX 7600GT AGP and with ATITool, I can increase my core from 560 to 690 without any artifacts, but the memory, which is 700 by default, causes major artifacts at about 720.

Looking at other people's posts about overclocking this card, they seem to be getting much higher memory overclocks, around the 800 mark, so I'm just curious why my card's memory doesn't overclock very well.
  2. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Try 671/775. Some of the 512 cards have a "weird spot" at lower mem oc's so take the mem up further. Keep an eye on your temps.

:toast:
  3. doveman New Member

Thanks Received:
    I forgot to specify but my card's 256MB.

I'm kind of worried about trying what you suggest because there's no way of monitoring the memory temperature (in fact this card doesn't even have an ENV sensor, just the Core one), so I wouldn't know if it was getting dangerously hot.
  4. ArthurT New Member

Thanks Received:
    There are temp guages that come with fan controls that you can put on the ram, but usually 256Mb cards dont have as good ram. Try the bump trick but if you want to keep it at high speeds get some paste and heat sinks and fans. I have a 7600GTX PCIe, and I ran the clock up , and it worked for a while, then crapped out, so I put a 3" fan on the front of the card, and it lasted for about an hour. Next I got some silly heat sink strip I found on a HD, put that across the ram on the back of the card.

Its an AIR FLOW Issue. Make sure your OUTLET fans are blowing hard.

A friend of mine, had this problem on his OCd Opteron. The case would cook after a while. Turns out his PS fan was not enough, and he put a top exit fan on, blocked some holes in the back, and put a fiilter on the bottom front inlet. His CPU fan no longer gathered dust, and the system was all around about 4~5d C cooler.

He wanted more, so he built a custom water cooler. Nice rig for about $80US. cut the overall temp in the case by 10d C.

Your mileage may vary...you can always feel dangerous hot on the chips by putting a spoon on the top, and then feeling the temp of the spoon.
  5. ArthurT New Member

Thanks Received:
  6. doveman New Member

Thanks Received:
    Cheers for tips. I'm actually going to replace the stock cooler with a decent heatsink like the Artic Cooling Accelero S2 or the Aerocool VM-103 and I might try sticking a fan on the end of the card blowing along it then, to cool the HSI bridge.

I've got an indoor/outdoor digital thermometer with a probe for the outdoor bit so I'll check what temps that's safe with and maybe use that. I can't get to the RAM chips until I replace the stock cooler anyway, cos it's covering them at the moment.