1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

strange bussing noise coming from power supply?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by nick_1992, Oct 1, 2006.

1. nick_1992

Thanks Received:
    hi i was wondering what this strange buss is coming from my psu and if you need to know its a best power 500 watt.

2. AshenSugar

AshenSugar New Member

Thanks Received:
    the psu you have is from the crap sction in my exp, buy a good one, the sound probbly a cap thats going bad, if it blows in use, bye bye computer, it will likely take out your motherboard in the very least, if not board/chip/ram/hdd/cd/dvd/video card

the fortron and epower units have great prices at the egg and are HIGH quility :)

3. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    Well, buzzing in never good IMO. Check to see if the main plug, the one that goes to the wall, is firmly seated in the socket on the PS. Mine came loose and was buzzing.

4. nick_1992

Thanks Received:
    i got a new one and it is making a noise every second or so and is that normal

5. pt

pt not a suicide-bomber

Thanks Received:
    What about the LC power? :confused:

6. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    Lets put it this way...I put an Antec SP-500 and a 939Dual-SATA2 in the same computer. The SP-500 made buzzing noises. Lots of other people had those noises, so I didn't think it was a problem. I didn't notice the various "bad power" issues (or didn't think they were issues)...System powers on when you flick the PSU switch, the occasional cold boot, the strange amount of time it took my hard drive to start, etc, so I just didn't care. My PSU rear fan stopped spinning, but I assumed that was because of the "smart" temp control. I noticed no problems. 7 months later my 939Dual-SATA2 died with a smokey smell in the air, leaving me with a cold boot and dead memory (my proccie survived :D). 2 weeks later RMA's and purchases are cleared. I have new Gigabyte motherboard and memory. I can boot the machine, but not right after I've turned it off. Dismissing it as a strange glitch in the board, I continue playing until I can't turn my system on using the power switch...little did I know that meant a lack of a "power good" signal. I proceed to start my computer with a paper clip, a staple, and some jumpers. I find out later that the lack of a "power good" signal was bad, and promptly turn off my computer (technically call my parents from school). I now have a squealing half-dead Antec, which I can't RMA (had some misuse a while ago and it was under normal use the rest of the time...my system doesn't need too much power). I replaced the Antec with a ThermalTake 430W TR2, which runs they way a power supply is supposed to run. In short- squealing PSU's are VERY BAD. Thanks for reading my outrageously long post lol.

7. nick_1992

Thanks Received:
    ok so i should yell at computer avenue (the place i bought from) and get a 3rd return.

8. AshenSugar

AshenSugar New Member

Thanks Received:
    should get a better brand one from that list, do not use a psu that makes noises, your just asking for a dead system and to spend alot to fix said system when the psu finnly go's

9. pt

pt not a suicide-bomber

Thanks Received:
    was that for me or nick? :confused:

10. AshenSugar

AshenSugar New Member

Thanks Received:
    if its not on the list or proved to be made by one of the listed OEM's then replace it, its not expencive to get a good psu, it just takes some research.

so any of you who have a poor psu REPLACE IT, never trust a generic psu with a real computer you will endup regreting it.

11. pt

pt not a suicide-bomber

Thanks Received:
    it's a 550w lc power 12v1 - 18, 12v2 - 16, 80% efficiency (green power series) i bought it for 46€ in a promotion think, some ppl that has them says they're pretty good, and i cant complain since it's working fine :) (and it isn't on the list), i don't know who did it, how can i know

12. AshenSugar

AshenSugar New Member

Thanks Received:
    google around for info, ask on some other forums, never delt with lc but i avoid stuff i dont know the maker of for the most part and alwase with psu's, dont want to loose hundreds of dollers in parts due to a psu takng out my rig :)

13. pt

pt not a suicide-bomber

Thanks Received:
    http://www.lc-power.com/ here is the site

for what i've read they are comparable to the oc-z but cheaper :)
    it's a new brand