1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

strange hardware problem..

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by coldcut, Mar 12, 2005.

1. coldcut New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi!

Have lived happily with my P4 2.6 ghz for almost a year. But recently it started to act strange. Without notice it just turns the power off. I have checked the powercables and wiring inside, also monitored the powersupply. CPu temp never raises over 50C/110F. The GFX card is a bit hot though. The labels with the serial nr on the gfx backside has come loose because of the heat. What do you think about this?

My equipm.
    Motherb: Abit uGuru A-I7
    cpu: P4 2600
    gfx : Club3d Rageon 9800 pro 128 mb
    mem: 2 x 512 Mb 3200 ddr (nanya tech)

2. ReconCX New Member

Thanks Received:
    Your GFX card may be overheating... also, check your voltages.. use a program like speedfan.. go to configure and voltages..

optimally, your voltages should not be over 5% variance from what it's suppose to be... (12v, 5v, 3.3v). 5v and 3v actual should be very close to intended but i've seen 12v go as low as 11.3v without subtle system problems..

3. coldcut New Member

Thanks Received:
    Got speedfan as you suggested,
    + 12 is 11,43
    +5 is 5.03
    Vcore and + 3.3v is 3.03?
    Abits own utitlity program (uGuru) says its 3.31...

Another option I had in mind is that the Cpu fan is bad, and stops or fails occasionally. This will also cause a shutdown because of the fan malfunction/protection in bios. Anyone got some more ideas?

4. ReconCX New Member

Thanks Received:
    log your temps with speedfan so that if it shuts down or freezes, you will know the final temperature before it crashed. Anything above 70C for the CPU is getting kinda warm... 80C is pretty bad and 90C is where the majority of CPU's crash. Keep in mind that GPU's are different.. they can handle up for >130C without problems.

5. coldcut New Member

Thanks Received:
    hmm... I think the problem is solved.. Monitored the system with speedfan, but didn´t see anything unusual in the logfile. But when I "tapped/knocked" on the psu with my fingers the power went off. Unmounted the psu and discovered that two screws holding the pcb-card was loose. Don´t know if this is the final solution, otherwise I replace the psu tomorrow.

Thanks reconcx for your response.