1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Strange issue with monitor and x1800xl

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by samorost, Jan 9, 2007.

1. samorost New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello all,

I'm having this strange issue which is driving me crazy and I'm unable to resolve it.

I purchased last year 2 standard VGA LCD monitors, 17", which I intend to use for an audio studio. They both have VGA connectors only. They're the OEM kind, re-branded by "Altech" - they don't have a website and the guy who sold them to me has no idea about this problem.

What happens is, they used to work perfectly on my old ATI 9600pro. I would connect one to the VGA port and the second one to the DVI port using a DVI-VGA adapter.

However, on my new x1800xl, they lose signal as soon as they reach Windows. This happens on both DVI ports. I get perfect signal for about a second and then they lose signal entirely. Furthermore, I am able to reach Windows and operate with no problem by running in VGA mode (no video drivers). I've tried a couple versions of Catalyst drivers - running 6.11 right now.

Does anyone have a clue of what's happening? Why would my old 9600 pro work perfectly and the x1800xl lose video?

I would greatly appreciate any feedback about this.

2. Zubasa

Zubasa

Thanks Received:
    The current driver is 6.12, try that out and may be by chance it will work. :p

3. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    when you boot up go to safe mode then right click on desktop click properties and then go to Settings tab and turn down the resolution, try 1024x768 . then click save and reboot normally..Get to safe mode by pressing F8 key over and over intill you get black screen and white letters and then choose safe mode .

4. Grings

Grings New Member

Thanks Received:
    ati's drivers are probably recognising your monitors capabilities wrong, it thinks my monitors max is higher than it actually is they always, set to 1280 +1024@85hz on my computer when installed.

try what drdna says above, and also check the refresh rate isnt too high

5. samorost New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks, I'll give DRDNA's approach a chance - regarding refresh rates, I've tried 85, 75, 72 and 60Hz. This made no difference whatsoever.

6. Grings

Grings New Member

Thanks Received:
    true, but just cause a monitor supports 85hz at 1024 768 dosent mean it will at a higher resolution, i had one that could only do 60hz above 1024 768

7. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Had the same problem with my Xerox monitor and ATI Radeon X1900XTX. Turns out I just needed the correct MONITOR driver(not supported by ATI). Took about three weeks to find it and afterwards all was OK. Search the Manufacture name and it's probably made by someone else and then search that site for monitor drivers. My Xerox driver was located under the name of the company that made the monitor circuit board not the screen or Xerox.

8. ATIonion New Member

Thanks Received:
    this may sound simple...but did you turn the monitor on in the ATI CCC?

if not....then when you are loading windows you will see both monitors are on with the same screen....but once windows is finally loaded the second monitor will shut off....

9. Kammster New Member

Thanks Received:
    don't have a x1800 but
    i had similar problem in the old days with a fx5200 switching fromt tv out to vga.
    if both monitors boot then it a pure driver problem in windows.

1. had to disble on-board video
    2. uninstall the driver everytime i used the 5200 for tv out.

if you uninstalling the driver and loading windows without safe mode then u just have find a "perfect" driver ...sometimes older(around when the model came out.)

f you uninstalling the driver and windows doesn't load then you have to clean something.