1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Strange noise when in 3D apps?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Huxley2k7, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Huxley2k7

Huxley2k7

Thanks Received:
    Getting a slightly strange noise when im running games. It sounds like the noise of a small fan, as if it was slightly catching something, its quite faint but only occurs when there is something being rendered on screen. For example, if the game stutters/hitches for a second while loading textures, the sound will stop, then start again once the render is done. If i minimize to desktop the noise stops, then immediately it will start again once i alt+tab back into the game. Its like a fan/buzzing noise.

I'm assuming its possibly something to do with the graphics card, i dont think its the fan though as i dont see why that would stop and start? Could it be something to do with the voltage/clocks kicking in? I think i vaguely remember this issue with my old ATi card.

Everythings running fine, its just an irritating noise which im possibly over-analyzing since its a completely new system.
  2. 2DividedbyZero New Member

Thanks Received:
    probably your gfx card or PSU making that sound - mine used to be the PSU (squeal) replaced it and now get what sounds like a faint scratchy sound like you say, hardly audible (benching) and when playing a game = inaudible. coils.