1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Strange problem with overclocking

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by bobdole, Jul 24, 2010.

1. bobdole New Member

Thanks Received:
    I tried overclock my board then my computer shut down after "starting windows" screen (where the four color form to MS symbol).
    I reset CMOS then it booted fine. But every time I tried overclock in BIOS then the problem happens.
    It's really weird because I can overclock (using the overclocking tool from Biostar) in windows mode when I reset CMOS, but I want to change settings using BIOS.
    Any ideas?

2. robal

robal

Thanks Received:
    Hi,

Are you sure that the overclock that you're able to do using utility is stable ? Have you stress-tested it ?

It's also possible that effective clocks/voltages are different when you overclock from BIOS.
    What settings are you changing in the utility and in the BIOS ? The result may not be the same.

Cheers,

3. grunt_408

grunt_408

Thanks Received:
    Yep sounds to me like your overclock is not stable.

What clocks are you trying to achieve?

4. HammerON

HammerON The Watchful Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    That was what I was going to ask!

grunt_408 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. bobdole New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nothing out of range just around 3.2ghz. I can overclock that much in windows mode but computer won't boot even if I'm at 2.7ghz in BIOS. Kinda frustrated me.
    After a week of messing around, I found out that it's my power supply is the culprit. Swaped the enermax Galaxy for a 550w power supply and I can change settings in the BIOS no trouble.
    But the weird thing about this is I don't how a power supply could cause the problem I have right now? Anyone knows why?

6. Bundy

Bundy

Thanks Received:
    It still sounds like an unstable OC, like the others said. You need to recheck your BIOS speeds, timings and voltages.