1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Strange RAID issues.

Discussion in 'Storage' started by Aquinus, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    if you are going to install linux then dont bother with the BIOS raid. ubuntu, centos, etc all provide very good software raid solutions without having to muck with the bios.
  2. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    That doesn't help me with my problem now. I'm saying that I'll move my raid back to my Phenom II hardware if I can't get X79 to handle my drives correctly. I also don't trust software RAID. It leaves your /boot vulnerable where fakeraid using dmraid can actually boot a RAID device as /boot. I've done this in the past, but honestly, I don't like having multiple copies of /boot all over the place to make sure that all 4 drives has a copy of /boot in case any one dies.
  3. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    well you mentioned maybe running ubuntu server with a samba setup. if that is the case ubuntu has really strong software raid that is faster and more effecient than the older onboard raid controllers.
  4. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    10 Million points folded for TPU
  5. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Then my RAID-0 with my SSDs fails and my RAID-5 dies with it since Windows is gone. Windows RAID is a terrible idea, I like the idea of Linux sofware raid better. :banghead: I think these drives are going back into the Phenom II system. Next time I refresh my RAID, I'll just get a bundle of WD Blues. Now if only 3x1tb drives could cost less than 200 USD. :p
  6. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    So I ended up turning off this option on the RAID driver called "Patrol read" and basically the raid controller uses idle time to search the drives for errors. I disabled it and so far so good.

Last edited: May 6, 2012