1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Strange sound during load

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by iiee, Jan 23, 2009.

1. iiee

Thanks Received:
    I have noticed a fast & continuous "tick-tick" sound during load on my 4870x2 and GTX 285. It is not loud, but audible because it is different from the PC fans noise. The sound disappears on idle mode. The sound is fast if the fps is fast, and become slower when the fps is low because of heavy details.

I am using 4870x2 earlier. At first i thought it is from the fan, but later found out is not the case; because I am annoyed enough and use water cooling to remove the sound but the sound still exists. Then i thought could be because of stupid ATi design and changed to GTX285, the same thing still happens.

Even when i use Vista dreamscene the sound could come out. It is not from PSU.

Any other having the same issue? :twitch:
  2. spearman914

spearman914 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yea, it's suppose to happen, when it loads it makes a constant tick sound and idles silent. It happens when u put a lot of stress on a component. This goes the same for CPU loading but u can barely hear it because of the fan spinning lol.
  3. iiee

Thanks Received:
    ohh i see... then there is no point to use whatever silent solution like water cooling, passive cooling etc in the PC, because this tick sound will become the biggest annoying noise which cannot be removed... even with 6 hdd in my pc and so many fans, i still can hear the tick. If i remove all the fans and use SSD, the tick will be even clearly heard.

So, don't use big graphic card. -_-
  4. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    That is just too funny as none of my builds have ever "ticked" under any loads, and I stress the short hairs off of my PC's.
  5. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Same here unless a fan was touching a wire lol. Which makes me thing might be the issue. Or even a faulty fan speeding up due to heat rising.
  6. iiee

Thanks Received:
    It is not fan on display card, i remove the fan and still ticking.

May be this only happen to card that requires high power (minimum 2 dedicated 12v rails).