1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

strange xps 600 startup issue

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Dr.Awkward, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Dr.Awkward New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've had my xps 600 for about two years now. Never had any problems with it until recently.
    It started not showing anything on the monitor during boot up. I would turn it off and then back on and the problem would fix itself. This went on for a few weeks getting more and more prevalent until it would never show anything on the monitor.
    Now here is the wierd part: it seems to boot fine, with proper green power light, no diagnostic lights, hard drives and video card spin up, hdd light in top right corner flashes, no wierd noises, etc.
    I use the monitor for other things (tv), so I assume that is not the problem. I've tried holding the power button down for 30 seconds with the power cable unplugged, I've removed and reinstalled the video card as well as the ram, changes hdmi cables, even pulled the battery out and reinstalled. Nothing seems to do anything at all.
    If anybody has any insight to this situation, you're two cents would be much appreciated.

2. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Hi

This may be worth a shot: power down; remove ram; clean the blades with coffee filter and isopropyl alcohol; use air duster on DIMM slots *reseat each memory module *seperatly one at a time into DIMM slot 1 and test system to see if it boots - run memtest

nb: had similar issue when one module was going bad

atb (all the best)

Law-II