1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Strangle high pitch whistle noise....

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by niko084, Sep 1, 2007.

1. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    I don't know if its coming from the mainboard, the video card or the psu but it's sure annoying! Seriously its like whistle off the tube of a TV just way louder so you can always hear it.... Getting on my nerves..... Going to have to figure this one out, hopefully its the crappy video card I threw in this machine so I can return it and say it sucks.

2. Mediocre

Mediocre New Member

Thanks Received:
    Its usually caused by a coil/choke on the motherboard. Listen carefully to the circular components that have the wire wrapped around 'em, its most likely one of those...

3. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    i Had the same prob.....it happened to my athlon xp rig alllll the time it was so amazing it sounded like it was coming from the cpu but my duron did it to in a diff mobo...i could never figure it out though cause i did a totall sys rebuild w/ a diff psu and all so no part was the same and thuis rig doesnt do it so.

4. psyko12

psyko12

Thanks Received:
    Yup same thing happens here to me, but it's my vid card lol, when it processes something taskfull it gets a bit noisy... The high pitch sound, but meh, my fans drown the pitch lol so now I'm comfortable with it :)

5. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    When overvolted/overclocked, capacitors/memory chips can emit a buzz, wine, or squeel. Also happens sometimes when caps are going/gone bad. More commonly it's a choke.

:toast:

6. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    Take the side of the case off and put a lil fan blowing towards the open side to create circulation ...and see if it goes away ... sometimes when the coils get hot that happens and some times a PSU will be giving just barley enough and that causes heat and that can cause a wine noise from coils or PSU ..

7. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    It happened to me when I had my Antec SP-500. I thought nothing of it.

And then my PSU killed my motherboard and RAM.

8. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    I had the same issue, it was my shitty Antec Smartpower.

Crunching for Team TPU
  9. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    Not sure what it is, this morning it wasn't making any noise anymore...
    I want to guess its the cheap pile of x1550 video card I put in there, because its going back anyways!

PSU tests perfectly fine but I'll pull it apart and take a look physically at caps and such.