1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Streaming Videos

Discussion in 'General Nonsense' started by Wozzer, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Wozzer

Thanks Received:
    Hello all,

I've recently changed to BT (Yawn) and we have a 2GB allowance on downloads PER MONTH. :banghead:

Any how - Does watching streamed videos such as Youtube download anything...?

I don't really understand how it all works, but I don't want to rack up a big bill for the parents.

Thanks

:toast:
  2. Katanai

Katanai

Thanks Received:
    Yeah dude. Even my avatar is cutting down on your 2GB. :laugh: That is not humane though, you can't really surf the net nowadays with only 2GB. Try to find another provider if possible.
    Wozzer says thanks.
  3. Wozzer

Thanks Received:
    Its not my money pal - There trying to "Cut" down on bills which is understandable.

I don't think they'll understand the bill when they've been over charged because of me gaming so much. :D
  4. Wozzer

Thanks Received:
    Hang on - If we download it, where does it store in your PC files. Temp files?
  5. Katanai

Katanai

Thanks Received:
    It depends on the browser you use, I think.
  6. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    temp files or RAM I believe. Streaming a video just means that you're playing it as you download it, as opposed to downloading the whole thing first, although some people let "streaming" videos load fully first (usually cuz they don't have enough bandwidth to actually stream without it pausing to buffer every five seconds), which defeats the purpose imo.

Download does not mean just files that you click "save" or "download" or whatever on. It means any data that goes to your computer from the internet. That's why browsers typically use a "cache" so they can store data for pages and load it up off your hdd when you visit it instead of waiting to download it. That doesn't mean that every page gets completely cached and that you never have to download data to view it again though, especially if the page changes.

I don't feel like going into any more detail cuz I can't explain it very well, but you can just google or wiki for information about how it works if you're really interested.