1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Stutter problem rapidly returns worse than ever

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by AngryMerchant, Jun 20, 2012.

1. AngryMerchant

Thanks Received:
    About a month ago, my computer had a serious stuttering issue. Every game would stutter every couple seconds for about half a second. It seemed to be fixed by putting the nvidia settings on balanced, when they had somehow been at quality before. And yet a couple days ago, performance rapidly started deteriorating. It is now as bad as it was previously, even though the nvidia settings are the same. It does it in every game, no matter how undemanding or demanding they are. I'm down to 2GB of RAM, but I don't see how getting more would fix that, because this issue did not exist even a week ago.
  2. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    This sounds like a weird software glitch, or a graphics card fault. I suspect the latter.

Install another Windows on another partition or HD and see if the fault follows it. This splits the problem into two halves. Also, if you have another nvidia graphics card, try that and see if it does it.
  3. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    sounds like hard drive.
  4. AngryMerchant

Thanks Received:
    I don't have a spare hard drive. How could that turn out to be the issue? I just don't see how changing the video settings fixed the problem for a month, and then it returned worse than ever over the course of two days.
  5. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    the data has to load from your drive to ram, so if the drives slow, it lags. when my SSD was dying i had periods of insane FPS drops, lag, glitching, and overall weirdness. SSD out of the system (cause it died for good) and my 'video' problems disappeared.

something as simple as defragging could help.
    AngryMerchant says thanks.
  6. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    I've had an awful stuttering problem in older NFS games (NFS Most Wanted, NFS Undercover). Then i cleaned all my chipset, SATA AHCI and graphics drivers, installed them clean and now it's working fine. What was strange is that this only affected these older games. NFS The Run or Battlefield 3 were running perfectly fine even before the cleanup.
  7. AngryMerchant

Thanks Received:
    I defragged a week ago.

But when I turned the computer on today, the hard drive was making a scratching (not clicking) sound I haven't heard it do before. Like it was writing a lot of data, except all it was doing was loading the desktop.
    This hard drive is 4 years old. I'd like to replace it, but all the highest-rated and seemingly most reliable drives are only 500GB, when most people seem to have no issue finding 1TB drives.

Like this:
    Western Digital RE4 WD5003ABYX 500GB 7200 RPM 64MB...

Seems reliable, decent cache size, but 500GB. I can get another drive later for other functions, but still feels like I'm just settling if I go for 500GB. But as long as I can just install the new partition and start moving files, I think it would be fine.

But I've also had enough of XP and should get Windows 7 for the desktop. Except all I can find online are OEM, and I don't know how much longer I'll even have this motherboard.
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  8. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like your HDD is dying, make sure you've backed up all your data.
  9. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I've seen this happen with PSU's getting weak, though it may or may not be the cause.

Some things to check:

GPU usage while in game/bench/test (using GPU-Z)
    CPU usage "" "" (Windows task manager)
    You could try using a program like HWInfo or something similar to check what your 12v line is outputting. (I don't believe these are very accurate though)
    Run MemTest, overnight if needed.

If you are using multpile HDD's you may also need to check the power of the 5v line coming off of your PSU. Again, you can try using a sensor reading program like stated above.

Error check your HDD(s). Either through Windows or ATTO disk benchmark works well.

**Just read post #7.. You can probablly disregard everything I said. :eek:
  10. Mussels

Thanks Received:

the RE4 is a server / 24/7 designed drive. hence the higher price/lower capacity.

why not just get the RE4 for your OS (reliable) and a larger, cheaper drive for external storage?
  11. theeldest

theeldest

Thanks Received:
    It's already been said but adding my $0.02:

When I was booting from my Agility 3 SSD I had the same(ish) problems. Booted from a different drive and haven't had problems since.

Further anecdotal evidence to check the HDD situation.
  12. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    when i had bad stuttering in games, It turned out to be my RAM. after i got them replaced the problem went away
  13. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    Double your pleasure.. Go raid 0..
    increased speeds and you get your 1TB.
    SSD's are looking mighty nice now a days though.
  14. AngryMerchant

Thanks Received:
    Removing this and updating.
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  15. AngryMerchant

Thanks Received:
    So I've replaced the hard drive, both sticks of RAM, clean installed numerous video driver versions, and still nothing.

It's not a "freezing" stutter, it's more of the framerate runs at a constant 60+ fps, and then for half a noticeable second, the framerate will spasm. Either drops to 40 (quite a noticeable difference when not frame-limiting Source games, which run at 200+ fps without a cap), or 20, then back up. It's not so much a consistent drop as just an inexplicably spasm in framerate.
  16. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    are you running on wifi?
  17. AngryMerchant

Thanks Received:
    I am, no ethernet ports in this house.
  18. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    try googling wireless zero config aka WZC. its a semi-neccesary windows service that can cause wifi spikes as it scans for networks, and that could be causing your FPS drops.
  19. AngryMerchant

Thanks Received:
    I've actually been turning it off for years when I play multiplayer games, since it freezes you once a minute to check for connection. So I don't believe it's that.
  20. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    fair enough. it was just my latest guess.
  21. AngryMerchant

Thanks Received:
    I'll also add that the mobo uses Realtek HD audio, and Nvidia also seems to have its own audio settings, but I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be that way. I don't know what that means, it might only apply to laptops, might be irrelevant to this entirely since my sound doesn't stutter, but might as well get it out there because I've heard problems with it.
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  22. AngryMerchant

Thanks Received:
    Sorry to be bumping this yet again, but it seems important.

I decided to try a different game. I started Mass Effect 3 with the Steam overlay enabled (adding Origin to Steam as a non-Steam game shortcut and starting it from there) and it was having the stuttering/ framerate drop issue. I exited Steam, started Mass Effect 3 normally, and no stutter at all. All of the other games I've tried that stuttered (Arkham City, TF2 and Portal 2 of course) had the Steam overlay enabled and were run through Steam.

I tried TF2 with the overlay disabled and it still had this problem. Baffling.
    My only idea left that doesn't involve switching hardware is completely uninstalling and reinstalling Steam and all games from scratch. Previously I moved the files from my laptop to my C drive to my E drive. I'll be able to uninstall, delete Steam, and reinstall TF2 to test in 15 hours, but if that doesn't help I'm still nearly as lost as before.
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
  23. flmatter

flmatter

Thanks Received:
    ok new ram and hard drive . . . did u try an older/different vid card? Sorry i did not see in the posts if you had tried a different or an older vid card. Could be a problem with the card itself just my .02
    1 Million points folded for TPU