1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Stuttering at High FPS GTX 400 series

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by phanbuey, Sep 29, 2010.

1. jagd

Thanks Received:
    Triple kit memory for i7 860? Btw can you test with 2 ram sticks (2 *2 =4GB ) ,i7 860 (and other socket 1156 cpus) can use dual channel memory not triple channel unlike socket 1366 (i7 9** ) cpus .Probably your ram working single channel with 3 sticks and this may be your problem.

2. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    yes, ive found the fix... actually there are several.

Its on a per-engine basis, and there are specific per-engine fixes. Also lower ram timings, setting your priority in windows to "16"-"18" helps with smoothness in general. Also, overclocking the RAM on the 470 helps a little with stuttering... ive found that anything over 1750-1760 MHz makes a noticeable smoothness difference, especially when there are fast-switching cutscenses.

list the games you are having problems with, and I will let you know the fixes. Most of them are older games and vangage in that one scene. Newer ones dont have these issues.

all of it is software/driver based, and none of the older games do it in XP, or there are easy fixes. Its something having to do with DX9 games in 7 and vista. The security updates thing is another option, but i fixed the stuttering before having to go that route.

What game in particular do you notice it in the most?
  3. Srdjan New Member

Thanks Received:
    And on topic phanbuey started.

Can you verify this http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?p=2456912 ?

It seems like some of you have that kind of stutter, also do this http://www.overclockers.com/micro-stutter-the-dark-secret-of-sli-and-crossfire/ to verify if you hardware is all "fine".

I did some googling around for a few days now and did not find any solution whatsoever, by the way, it is not related to GTX series only, it can occur on any GPU for that matter.

Will do some testing with different hardware/software etc. and will let you know.
  4. T3kl0rd

T3kl0rd

Thanks Received:
    Except phanbuey isn't talking about multi-GPU setups. His is single card.
    phanbuey says thanks.
  5. Srdjan New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes i know he is talking about single GPU setup, but that is a good way to measure any stutter caused by GPU/CPU or anything on harware/sowtware side.

It is a worth of try to know what exactly is cause of stutter, i have the problem with refreshrate-framerate sync, not problem on hardware side, so maybe he got the same, that's why i posted that links and registered anyway, curently trying to solve this puzzle.

EDIT: Solved problem now, it was a mainboard issue, despite that nothing is OC'ed on board ive had to set HT Freq to 1800Mhz (default 2000Mhz) and NB the same. Now frames are "pure" even at high FPS.

phanbuey i see name Gigabyte in your system spec, i assure you whan you change that name to MSI , ASUS or even AsRock your probs will gone :) , try to lower some settings on comunication betwen CPU and board (don't know how is going for intel now).

Sry for my "good english" ;)
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
    phanbuey says thanks.