1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Stuttering in games

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Captainpoo, Dec 26, 2011.

1. Captainpoo

Captainpoo New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi all

old specs:
    1055t @3.5ghz
    Asus M4A88T-V EVO USB3 (x16pcie & x4 pcie in crossfire)
    x 2 xfx 5770 in crossfire mode
    6GB corsair 1333mhz ram
    WD 500gb sata 2 caviar black
    corsair 650W tx

I've recently bought a new motherboard, cpu and ram because my 1055t wasn't satisfying me enough in gaming performance. previously, when I was using a 1055t, I had not had any stuttering at all in any games. the game play was smooth, although the framerate was affected by the processor. Because of this, I upgraded to an Intel system composing of:

Asus p8z68-v lx (latest bios) & proper settings on pci-e lane speeds
    2500k with arctic cooling 7 pro (ai suite fan speed to turbo) @ 40c load
    corsair xms3 4gb 1600mhz ram
    x 2 xfx 5770 in crossfire mode @ x16 and x4 (same as before)
    corsair 650w tx
    wd 500gb sata 2 caviar black
    windows 7 professional x64

the games i have tested are WoW and Skyrim. I have tried both 11.11 and 11.12 drivers with and without cap3 profiles, to with have had both the same results of some stuttering choppiness. it appears the stuttering happens when i walk and move about. for instance, if I were walking on WoW, the stuttering would be as follows:
    Smooth,smooth,smooth,smooth,stutter,smooth,smooth,smooth,smooth etc. I notice that player movements stutter when the game stutters too. on skyrim, the game stutters the same. when i am walking i will stutter and the framerate is at 60fps but doesn't feel smooth.

I would like to please know any troubleshooting guides or advice you guys can give me.
    I have de-fragmented the hard drive and ran hard drive error chkdsk and both have run without hitch.

2. purecain

purecain

Thanks Received:
    i've noticed it in skyrim with 6970 and ccc11.12....

havnt had time to investigate the issue yet...

3. timma New Member

Thanks Received:
    upgrade to 6950 OC or GTX 570:rockout:

4. N-Gen

N-Gen

Thanks Received:
    Keep in mind WoW cannot use Crossfire or SLi. If you're running full screen, disable Crossfire as it has proven to reduce performance.

In a single card config in WoW (in my case) there is heavy stuttering when I turn around and it has to render a massive stretch of land (not in dungeons/raids/pvp). It seems that limited spaces are fine, my idea is that reducing the draw distance would help.

Skyrim I have no idea about, it seemed fine for me and haven't had these problems.

5. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    Well that was constructive wasn't it :wtf: