1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sudden BSOD Problems.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by frankenchrist, Sep 10, 2007.

1. frankenchrist

frankenchrist New Member

Thanks Received:
    My wife is Using an Abit AN8 SLI Socket 939 Motherboard and it has been running flawlessly for the last 8 monthes.

Last night she suddenly started getting random BSOD's at first every 20 mins or so and now we can rarely get to the desktop before it reboots.

I have reset the CMOS and checked all my power connections and am thinking windows might have corrupted.

Any ideas before I reformat?:cry:
  2. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    what does it say? it could be a heat issue - i know they cause reboots so maybe a clean out might help.
  3. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Might as well do a re-do after 8 months anyways. Clean everything, re-seat everything, use new thermal compound etc... Try it then. If it still doesn't work then re-format.
  4. Demos_sav

Demos_sav New Member

Thanks Received:
    Have you checked the ram?
  5. frankenchrist

frankenchrist New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have checked on my temps and they are stable but am hoping I am not running into PSU problems.

I will tear down reseat and try again before I sweep the HDD.

Thanks for the ideas I guess the obvious answer is to try again.
  6. TheShadowFL New Member

Thanks Received:
    Why does the word "Format" pop up whenever a person is having a problem?
    I'd expect that from Dell customer support or the "Geek Squad" but not here!

As a working PC tech, I reformat a HD less than once a year.

There are just SO MANY things that can be done to truly troubleshoot the problem and usually fix it before a format or re-install of windows is required.

OK.....check and re-seat all cards and cables. Run "Memtest" if you have it.
    Shut down all running TSR's and do a full drive maintenance....."Disk Cleanup" and "Defrag".
    You get those programs FREE with windows, so why not use them?
    Another great program included with windows is "chkdsk" (Check Disk)
    In the START/Run box, type in chkdsk /f and press enter. It will check your HD for errors. DO, leave a space before the /f.

If the BSOD's persist, use System Restore to go back and restore a copy of the registry made before the problem started.

There's more....but that's a good place to start and quite often fixes most BSOD problems, if, they are not caused by a bad power supply, leaking capacitors on the mobo or the mobo or ram shorting out due to dirt buildup.

Cheers Mates!
    Shadow :cool:
  7. frankenchrist

frankenchrist New Member

Thanks Received:
    I appriciate your time to write this ever so long essay and there are some great pointers for the typical Newb but if you took the time to read the posts you would see that I am unable to run system restore or any programs on the system if it will not boot past the windows screen and have already reseated all cables and cards, cleared CMOS checked the BIOS for problems etc. The RAM runs fine in my other systems and runs Memtest with flying colours so that is ruled out. I agree that formatting is a last resort since I do not know anyone who likes to lose data or take the time to reinstall all programs and drivers but it is a viable last resort. I guess this is a pointless post since in the end i already know that the answer is trying to find the needle in the haystack and hope I get lucky sooner than later.

Thanks.:toast::toast:

8. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Remids me alot of when my OCZ took a poop. Started out as random as you say, them more frequent. In the end I had eliminated everything else, and couldnt get to windowz w/out a instant BSOD! Even if you have a crappy PSU laying around...try it with just enough parts to run see if it boots.

On a side note ABIT mobo are serious power drinkers just to idle, similar to my DFI in that situation as well!
  9. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Check your Error Logs; Go to Controll Panel > Administrative tools > Event Viewer. Check the System folder or the Application folder for errors that occured at the same time as your last BSOD. Post results.:D

:toast:
  10. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    he gets instant BSOD's on boot, he cant use any sort of windows diagnostics.......I'm saying its hardware not software!
  11. d44ve New Member

Thanks Received:

I do not believe he can get into Windows

EDIT : Sorry, I got beat to it....
  12. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    its ok d44ve....just usually Im the slower one.
  13. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:

That realy suck's. Strip it down to bare minimum and try booting. Add components until it BSOD's.

Or

Strip it down to bare min swap to a diff HDD with OS. Try reboot.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2007
  14. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    Sorry Nammy didnt mean to scream...my caps lock was on....edited post to clear the air!
  15. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey NP SneekyPeet. My bad, I missed the no boot thing.:respect:

16. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    sounds too simple but dont overlook your cables.

loose or dirty connections get intermittent signals and can cause just what you are seeing.

i had the bsod gremlin for 3 weeks till i found a bad cable only when it got bent the right way did i find it.
  17. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:

most of the time we have built up a load of crap on our pcs and little errors everywhere were made so for many people it is a sure thing to reformat and sleep good at night knowing its clean rather than fixing it and never being sure what else is not right with there system.

even though YOU could fix it in no time if you were there, for it to be done via pm or such it would take enough time invested to be the same time as it would take to reformat and no help is needed.

in many cases a reformat is just easier than trying to fix it.

PS - your advice is spot on and very usefull and those things should be tried before reformating so dont take my statement the wrong way. it is just that reformating should not be the LAST resort but look at it as any other cleanup tool. at a certain point when you have enough problems then troubleshooting is just not preferable to formating IMO.
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2007