1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Suggestions for Pump and Reservoir? (Watercooling)

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Sasqui, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    I've got a failing pump in my Koolance PC2 rig, it's got a reservoir with two submerged pumps inside (redundancy is a good thing). Problem is, the old part can't be found anymore.

So I'm looking for a replacement. The system is failry low key:

• 1/4" Tubing
    • 3 x 80mm fan radiator
    • Reservoir and pump gets power from the Koolance control PCB (I'm quite sure it's 12v, but don't know the Amperage - must be around 4 or so)
    • Only cooling my CPU at the moment

Eventually, I'd like to upgrade to a 3 or 4 x 120mm radiator and larger tubing.

So any suggestions for replacement pump(s) and reservoir that would work with 1/4" now, but can take larger tubing later?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2008
  2. intel igent

intel igent New Member

Thanks Received:
    You can use DDC/mcp355 with aftermarket top and put 1/4 fittings on it. For a res you can use the swiftech micro res

3. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    might be better to build from the ground up. I remember when my first water prebuilt pump went out it was a kingwin system (though I've seen 6 other brands with the exact same system) and also had 1/4" tubing. what i found was that after buying a pump from DD and some tubing, that my little kingwin's radiators and the stock tubing wasn't designed for that amount of pressure. (and hooking a 3/8" tubing pump into it wasn't fun either) leaks were emminent. luckily I test they system for 24 hours prior to install and was able to see the leaking before I installed it. So I tossed that aside and went for an all custom system. no leaks and a huge cooling performance gain. you'll find that while the prebuilts were good for a first run, they pale in comparison to the performance of the custom ones.

so I'd say shop around a 2x120 rad should be plenty (you'll find 3bys and 4bys hard to install) especially just for the cpu, if you're planning to add in the 4870 it will also be good, but a 3by would offer a bit better performance (but not huge) swiftec 2x120's are all pretty good, on DD stick to the xtreme and gtx, steer clear of pro and gts series. there's plenty of us around who can help, infact a great deal of tpu users are on water and I'm sure they'll be around to recommend blocks, pumps, rads, etc.

my recomendation though is start fresh, you won't regret it.

Sasqui says thanks.
  4. modder New Member

Thanks Received:
    i think you need to rebuild a new watercool system ,for eg:

pump :Laing DDC 3.2 (MCP 355) $64.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835108097

air trap :XSPC Acrylic Reservoir DDC Top $44.95
    http://www.jab-tech.com/XSPC-Acrylic-Reservoir-for-Laing-DDC-pr-4123.html

radiator:3 x 120mm with e6600 it's ok .
    HWlabs Black Ice 360 (good ,but need hi air pressure ) or XSPC RS360 Radiator (poor external quality ,but low air pressure and Very low pressure drop) very cheap

CPU Water-Block :Swiftech Apogee GTZ CPU Waterblock !!!!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2008
  5. modder New Member

Thanks Received:
  6. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    That's what I was concerned about... Supposedly, this swiftech has an adjustable flow version of this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835108082

I don't plan to upgrade the rest till the snow flies here in New England (too many fall home projects :( )... perhaps I should just run on air for the meantime till I can go all out.

7. modder New Member

Thanks Received:
  8. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    It actually looks like the one on newegg is the adjustable type - though the swiftec site says the model number is different.

Not too worried about going from different ID's - there are plenty of good hose barb adaptors.

Now a good resevoir...

9. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Good looking product - wish I could find a resrvoir that was metallic (heat-disspating), just to add to the mix. The nice thing about what you suggest aer the mounting options and the hose barb sizes.

Interesting fluid design!

Thanks.

10. modder New Member

Thanks Received:
    hi Sasqui,
    below the list :)
    ----pump
    12V Laing D5 Vario/Swiftech MCP655 Pump
    Compatibility:• For Use with 1/2" ID ID tubing
    ----metallic reservoir Barb Thread: G1/4"
    http://www.frozencpu.com/products/2234/ex-res-89/XSPC_Passive_150mm_Reservoir_-_SILVER.html?tl=g30c97s166
    -----with Den G 1/4" High Flow Thread Barb - 1/2" ID
    http://www.frozencpu.com/products/2269/ex-tub-116/Danger_Den_G_14_High_Flow_Thread_Barb_-_12_ID.html

Sasqui@ "Interesting fluid design!"
    Another interesting link
    http://www1.acryan.com/_liquidevolution/index.shtml

11. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Wow, both of those are kick ass looking reservoirs... especially the Liquid Evolution!!! Just before reading your post, I had ordered a Thermaltake "reservoir" (it's rather small for a reservoir and they don't even call it one), but comes with three sizes of compression fittings:

http://www.xoxide.com/thermaltake-207-water-level-indicator.html

[​IMG]

And, I got the variable speed Swiftech from Newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835108082

[​IMG]

When they hit my doorstep, I'm going to run some tests with these and the koolance to see what sort of flow differential I'm getting... measure time to fill up a 1 gal container, while going through the CPU block and radiator - praying for no leaks.

The Koolance is especially easy to drain (plug on the bottom), I'm going to have to rig a drain "T" somewhere at a low spot, also not sure how I'm going to mount the Thermaltake.

12. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Bump - comments on the reservoir?

13. intel igent

intel igent New Member

Thanks Received:
    it's thermaltake whadda ya wanna hear?

:laugh:

i would never put thermaltake anything on my desk ever again.

nice choice on the pump though

14. airdraft New Member

Thanks Received:
    for a pump i would get a swiftech ddc pump...its been working great for me...nice and reliable. and for the reservoir i would get a swiftech mirco res...nice handy reservoir that can be mounted in a couple of places. seems to work fine for me.

15. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    What up wit dat?