1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sugggestion (BUG): German is not English

Discussion in 'GPU-Z' started by Naki, Jan 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Naki

Thanks Received:
    English is not like German! We do not capitalize nouns in English the way it happens in German.
    So, the Options should be not like they are now, but like this:
    Check for update...
    Enable help tooltips
    Always on top
    Load on Windows startup
    Sensors use Fahrenheit (this one is correct)
    Tooltip language
    ... (this one is correct)

Launch GPU-Z installer...
    About... (this one is correct)

2. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
  3. Naki

Thanks Received:
    Thanks, but menu items are NOT titles.
    A program is not a poem, short story or novel, neither it is a newspaper or magazine article.
    Please take a look at other similar programs menus/options screens.

4. W1zzard

Thanks Received:
    Naki says thanks.
  5. Naki

Thanks Received:
    You can easily run Core Temp, and see that "Always on top" is written like this:
    "Always on top" (uppercase for the first letter of the first word only), as are most other similar menu items.
    Of course, the program name is capitalized for both words - "Core Temp", because it is a title.

Also, I forgot to mention - I assume many users of GPU-Z aren't aware there is a menu at all!
    So, the choice to put options there is a poor one - see Core Temp and RealTemp for an example, in both of them you can easily see the menus/buttons to click in order to access the Settings/Options, unlike in GPU-Z.
    EDIT: Hmm, RealTemp has the same wrong capitalization - time to post this in that program's forum too.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  6. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Look out! It's the grammer, spelling, and language nazi! Run for the hills! :roll:

A menu name itself could be interpreted as title but not the menu items. I agree on that point.

W1zz: I'm not sure how you have it setup but if you have a language files separate from the application logic itself that contains translation strings, maybe letting people update it might be a good idea (after review of course). Expanding beyond English and German could also be interesting.

Naki says thanks.
  7. Naki

Thanks Received:
    I believe a separate posting said:
    We do NOT accept translations, only the tooltips will be translated at this time.
    So, unless that policy is changed, I don't think any translations are possible or needed.
    And yes, Core Temp for example has many languages it has been translated to, for all UI elements, so maybe this is something that the maker of GPU-Z could consider.

EDIT: Actually, I am quite surprised these glaring German English errors are brought up by me - I assumed this was known long ago!
    Maybe because of the strange location of the options, most users don't even know they are there - my guesstimate is that about 20% (or less) of GPU-Z users know that the Options even exist.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  8. W1zzard

Thanks Received:
    these are not errors the capitalization is there for style and emphasis

end of discussion.

Chevalr1c, Naki, Aquinus and 1 other person say thanks.