1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sunbeam Rheobus Extreme

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by t_ski, Jan 19, 2008.

1. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2008
    CY:G says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. CY:G

CY:G New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the review, but i would have appreciated a picture of it installed in a case...
  3. intel igent

intel igent New Member

Thanks Received:
    nice review T

only hear good things about these sunbeams so 1 is on my order list :)

:toast:
  4. wtf8269

wtf8269 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I see some great modding potential out of this fan controller.
  5. Duffman

Duffman New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think i like my Zalmans better.
  6. HaZe303

HaZe303 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I prefer my Zalman Multi Fan Speed Controller ZM-MFC1 as well. But i can agree with the reviewer about the blue leds. Even on my Zalman, they are too bright. And two of the channels are red when put to 12v. I woult have liked that all of them where blue, would match my blue theme in rest of the case. I think I will buy me the black Zalman MFC1 Plus 6 Channel Multi Fan Controller instead. Will match my TJ09 black case. And no leds. :)
  7. Duffman

Duffman New Member

Thanks Received:
    i have the same case. The Zalman looks like it belongs in there. The LED's don't bother me too much.
  8. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    I onw a Zalman MFC1 also, and I love it except for the two 5V/12V switches and the red LEDs. I know Zalman makes a newer version that has six adjustable channels, but I haven't gone pricing them yet.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    I wanted to let everyone know that Sunbeam made some changes based on my initial review and sent a new review sample to me. The new version is much better in terms of build quality, and the voltage has changed from 4-12V to 0-12V. Take a look at the review for the updated changes.

I applaud Sunbeam for taking the steps to correct the faults I found in the original review. Their willingness to work with a reviewer to solve the "cons" gives them some extra points in my book. :toast:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. Maverick-DBZ-

Maverick-DBZ- New Member

Thanks Received:
    Great review. Is there anyway to tell your buying the new revision? Can the knobs be changed?
  11. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    When purchasing the controller, look for whether it states the voltage range as 0v to 12v or 4v to 12v. As for the knobs, I don't know, as I never tried to remove them.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. Maverick-DBZ-

Maverick-DBZ- New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks t_ski I'll look out for that when I go purchase it. If it's possible and if its not too much trouble, can you check if the knobs are removable?

Thanks! :toast:
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  13. A3DSAIL

A3DSAIL New Member

Thanks Received:
    I, too, disliked the plastic faceplate Sunbeam screwed to the front bezel of the Extreme. Some may think it looks good, but the shiny smoked plastic just doesn't compliment the brushed aluminum of my case. However, I went through my considerable compliment of screw drivers, torx, square and triangle bits without coming up with anything that would undo those screws.

I was beginning to think I would have to dremel/drill them out when I finally found the proper screwdriver bit at Harbor Freight in a small set of Pittsburgh screwdriver bits ($7.99) that had some uncommon heads, one of which fit the screws perfectly! You can find it in the HF online catalogue at the following URL: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=97517

After removing the plastic faceplate, the brushed aluminum shines through!
    [​IMG]

Hex-bit marked "CR-V 5/64"
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2008
  14. Maverick-DBZ-

Maverick-DBZ- New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nice work A3DSAIL, I'm glad to see the front plate can be replaced. As you were doing that did you notice you can also replace the knobs?
  15. A3DSAIL

A3DSAIL New Member

Thanks Received:
    No, but when I examined them they look like just a press-fit, although a very firm one — no set screws or glue in evidence, tho...
  16. Jamie New Member

Thanks Received:
    Led

How hard do you think it would be to change the LED's from blue to red.
  17. A3DSAIL

A3DSAIL New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, it would of course involve removing TWO LEDs from each knob (both blue) instead of just one, so that would increase the time involved. Also, each LED is placed inside a rigid plastic sleeve which positions the LED high enough off the pcb to point into the translucent knobs in order to light them up. This could make it harder to remove the LEDs IMHO.

If you're proficient with a soldering iron, this mod might take a little more time, but it doesn't look too bad depending on how long it would take to deal with the tiny plastic sleeve each LED is stuffed into.

Sorry I can't give you a better answer, but I really don't have the soldering experience to tackle a mod like this. Perhaps someone else familiar with the Rheobus Extreme can contribute here. :eek:
  18. Jamie New Member

Thanks Received:
    Led

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it. As it turns out I am pretty handy with a soldering and I do have a lot of patience so I think I'll order one and give it a try. I just wasn't sure how accessible the LED's were.
  19. P4-630

P4-630

Thanks Received:
    "Sunbeam Rheobus Extreme"...
    First time I heared it that I thought it would be a new CPU cooler model by Sunbeam but it's all about a Sunbeam Rheobus Extreme...Fan controller..
  20. A3DSAIL

A3DSAIL New Member

Thanks Received:
    Jamie wrote:

Once you separate the PCB from the shell, it looks as if you have pretty good access to the solder points underneath and the LEDs themselves. Good luck. Swapping the LEDs would make a good "How To" article.
  21. Odin Eidolon

Odin Eidolon New Member

Thanks Received:
    any news of someone that succeeded in swapping the leds? i like the controller, but i'd like to have red for my next mod. Blue is so boring ;)
  22. freaksavior

freaksavior To infinity ... and beyond!

Thanks Received:
  23. SystemViper

SystemViper

Thanks Received:
    I picked that fan controller for the wattage it can handle.
  24. Odin Eidolon

Odin Eidolon New Member

Thanks Received:
  25. A3DSAIL

A3DSAIL New Member

Thanks Received:
    Here's a close-up of the LEDs on the SRE (one on either side of the translucent knob) and the rigid plastic sleeves that each LED is threaded through as I stated in my previous post.

[​IMG]

If anyone successfully mods their SRE LEDs I sure would love to see the procedure written up on this forum!
    Odin Eidolon says thanks.