1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sunlight causes Nintendo Wii to malfunction

Discussion in 'News' started by zekrahminator, Oct 13, 2006.

1. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    For the first time, sunlight is a direct obstacle to gaming, and not just because of screen glare. During a Nintendo Wii demo at a store, the sun shone into the store, and none of the Wii's worked at all. No matter what the game, the Wii's simply didn't receive any signals from the wireless controllers. Once the sun was not shining into any store windows, the Nintendo Wii worked flawlessly. Nintendo suspects that bright lights cause the optical receivers for the controllers. to malfunction. Nintendo also knows that bright halogen lights can make a Wii malfunction.

Source: The Register

2. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Damn, I have really bright Halogen lights in my room, they're so much hotter than any other lights I know. But oh well, still going for Wii!

3. DaMulta

DaMulta My stars went supernova

Thanks Received:
    This was told at E3 06.

4. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    So don't the controllers work with bluetooth? I wouldn't expect that to have a problem... but I guess if it doesn't work in sunlight there must be something up. The room my Wiii will be in is quite dark, doesn't get direct sunlight so that isn't a problem for me. And you could always get a wired controller for some games, perhaps Nintendo will even release a wired attachment for the 'remote' which wouldn't be a proper remote anymore! Still getting one.

Edit: I do have halogen light, but not pointing directly out accross the room.

5. HaZe303

HaZe303 New Member

Thanks Received:
    This is embarresing for N. Hope they fix this, and dont expect us to just live with it. I have sunlight in my apartment all day(s) long. So when do they intead me to play game´s?? All nights long? No no, and i dont want to pull the curtins everyday when its sunny... so deppressing with dark room. :D

6. Dippyskoodlez

Thanks Received:
    Controllers are still wired. I bet there will be some wireless ones eventually though.

I really do think nintendo will have this worked out by time its released. That, and I think they're over hyping this as a bad thing, when its probably not nearly as severe as some may think.

7. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Dippy, the controllers are wireless already. The only wires you'll see is when it's setup like a Nunchuk, but then again, it still communicates wirelessly with the Wii itself.

8. Lord_Garshna New Member

Thanks Received:
    Not only does the sun effect the Wii... but more importantly it effects the people who play it... "god it burns... my eyes, ahhhh". Sun=scary :(

9. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Sweet, so not only do the controllers suck, but you can't actually use them either. I swear Nintendo is trying to make this their last console

Crunching for Team TPU
  10. DaJMasta

Thanks Received:
    I can connect wired controllers though (like GC controllers)

Too bad, infra red usually works given some error checking, I suspect it will only have major trouble where your tv remote has trouble, so as long as your tv remote isn't malfunctioning, you're probably good.

11. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    that what happens when u use the cheapest ir sensors u can find from the dodgyest back alley manufacturer

12. Dippyskoodlez

Thanks Received:
    :confused: lol I was thinking they used a wire to connect still.. sunlight doesnt interfere with bluetooth tho :laugh:

13. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Last thing I heard Nintendo had made the controllers work quite impressively actually, big improvement over E3. I think the Wii will do much better than the Cube.

14. Gzero New Member

Thanks Received:
    Lets just wait till they are actually out, instead of jumping to conclusions. The media always seem to find a fault with the new upcoming consoles, this seems the normal way for hype to go before a launch.