• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

SUPER werid problem with the X800 *pics* HELP

Ok... let me start of with the X800 is a remarkable card, I upgraded from the 9800 Pro. I have a Dell 8300 3.2 GHz HT with 1 GIG of ram. I got the X800 Pro vivo about two weeks ago and I flashed it to the X800 XT PE. After the flash I underclocked my card back to Pro Core and mem speeds (475/450) just to make sure that it would be stable. Ever since I got that card FarCry hasnt been running right. It appears that some of the shadows in the game are not correct. LOTS of textures started appearing as bright orange, yellow, red, and green colors and I was getting mad, to top that off the sound was glitchy too. I tried everything to get FarCry fixed, I unstalled Video drivers and used Drive Clean 3 to make sure everthing was gone. That didnt help... I tried uninstalling and reinstalling FarCry...nothing, tired it with patches/without patches...nothing. I finally said it must be the card. I flashed it back to Pro and took it out. I put in my 9800 Pro and tried it out, to my amazement eveything was perfect, no funky colors. I ended up narrowing it down to what I thought was the Card. I returned it, Got a new X800 Pro, reinstalled the drivers, DID NOT FLASH the card, and ran FarCry again. Everything was exactly the same as my old flashed pro. Bright colors everywhere. It wasnt the card. I tried changing my AGP Size to 256 MB from 128 MB and still nothing, it seems as if it only does it outdoors.. I dont know what to do..here are some pics of what has been going down, There is also one pic of call of duty were there are dots on the wall, those dots only appeared in that exact area no matter where I was

ati.bob

Looks like a driver problem to me.. doesn't seems to be an overclocked-card effect.. or is it maybe a down-clocked effect??!?

Ramine

prob drivers, check that smartshader isnt on aswell, hehe, the trpoical effect:)

Ok I've narrowed it down to this: That type of artifacting is only caused on "high" and "very high" settings. I lowerd everthing to medium and its all ok. What I am thinking is its my motherboard, maybe not enough bandwidth between the AGP slot and the card?

Ok guys i put my new card on my pc at work. its doing the same thing. the pc is a mpc 2.8 ghz 865p chipset 1 gig of ram 300w ps. Im also in a 67 degree room with the cover off the pc

:mad:

T

Turdhat

Man that looks cool. Trippy trees ! How can I make that happen on my game ! Thats how bored I am with Farcry.

Try turning off 'Fast Write' in the bios.
Also try setting card a 4x & not 8x

ya that didnt help... the only way it goes away is if the gfx settings are lower

Slayerstaps

get the newest patch for far cry dude...known problem that older versions give graphical errors with the newest cards...

Slayerstaps said:
get the newest patch for far cry dude...known problem that older versions give graphical errors with the newest cards...

the newest patch doesnt fix my problems, and the patch has been pulled because it crashes ATI cards

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
you tried the card in another pc and it has the same problem? -> rma it

W1zzard said:
you tried the card in another pc and it has the same problem? -> rma it

Thats so far two that have done the exact same thing. the only way it goes away is if i lower the graphics or i am indoors in the gam. im not sure but i think its affecting my sound.. it gets glitchy

hey guys someone posted this on another forum about my problem, anyone agree?

"You know, your comment that the problem seems to affect the SAME trees and the SAME textures ON those trees has got me thinking that it MIGHT be a bug in one of Far Cry's Pixel Shaders!

My reasoning here is that heat related problems would cause RANDOM texture anomalies to appear in RANDOM places, i.e. the effect would shift around randomly! However, we're seeing SPECIFIC anomalies in SPECIFIC places, which would point to a COMMON cause!

I have a theory that one of the Pixel Shaders normally applied to trees and other vegetation is, for some reason, NOT producing the expected results. Any texture that this "bugged" Pixel Shader is applied to would therefore have its colours "corrupted" in a specific way! In this case, it looks like random colours have been "projected" onto the texture!

Of course, when you drop down to Medium, THAT particular Pixel Shader is probably no longer applied, so the problem doesn't appear.

Hey, CryTek! Have I hit the nail on the head, here? "

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
Isn't that one of the reasons why they took their 1.2 patch or second patch off their web site? are you running the second patch?

Urlyin said:
Isn't that one of the reasons why they took their 1.2 patch or second patch off their web site? are you running the second patch?

Im not running 1.2...i believe they took it off because it crashes ATI cards...which it does

mustrum

Hmm. You tried in another PC right? Looks like that card is borked.
Time to RMA i fear.

Slayerstaps

No, It's still a problem with far cry....You don have to rma that theory of the other guy can be right...Far cry is somewhat buggy that's why they released some patches in order to try an fix those...But yeah it's true that it looks like something gone wrong with the shaders...
Try other games like doom 3 first if it has the same probs then maybe it's your vid card afterall........

Slayerstaps said:
No, It's still a problem with far cry....You don have to rma that theory of the other guy can be right...Far cry is somewhat buggy that's why they released some patches in order to try an fix those...But yeah it's true that it looks like something gone wrong with the shaders...
Try other games like doom 3 first if it has the same probs then maybe it's your vid card afterall........

Ya I had figured that it was farcry. Doom runs great, its just farcry that goes crazy

Slayerstaps

Then i think you got to wait for some patch that fixes your problem... :D

Snowman

I have the exact same trouble.... and I have also noticed that it must have something to do with the shaders.... here is a pick of the editor and I can move the helicopter and the bright colors go with the shadow.

Snowman

Attachments

• bright_farcry.jpg
    bright_farcry.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 595

Slayerstaps

Looks very cool and funky... :D

euhm..oh sry nvm me...sucks if it looks that way :)

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
Could it be you're overclocking the GPU or CPU to much? Have you tried to uninstall the video drivers and use Driver Cleaner to remove all of the files then reinstall? Just a thought :rolleyes:

Remeber i returned my card for a new one and still got the same things. FarCry is oh so buggy! and not friendly with ATI, espically the X800.

Bro, dont think your card is messed up, its not. Farcry just wont ever look good for ATI. For some reason the graphics are better in the first few levels, more towards the middle and end of the game it just runs like crap, im now forced to run everything on medium. Not to mention the sound is messed up in indoor levels :mad: Such a beautiful game and i cant enjoy it :( doom runs so sweet tho on the highest level of gfx set :eek: