1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Superbugs from space to generate electricity

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by Drone, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    Ha!

The electrical output of the MFC (Microbial Fuel Cell) from 105W per cubic metre to 200W per cubic metre. Not that much but still not too bad.

http://www.physorg.com/news/2012-02-superbugs-space-source-power.html

2. Completely Bonkers New Member

Thanks Received:
    This is very interesting. And 200W per cubic metre is very impressive! Putting these into a modern house in the foundation/cellar while building could lead to easily 5kW output. Enough to power the house, if combined with a storage cell.

This is major if doable.

I wonder what "food" source is required, and also how "waste" is managed. Perhaps it can be combined with a septic tank. Rich source of food for the bacteria, with the benefit of more-degraded waste into the sewers. Benefits and eco all round.

Drone, if you are "subscribed" to this R&D, keep us posted!

3. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    and so the zombie apocalypse begins.

nonkX3 says thanks.
  4. ViperXTR

ViperXTR

Thanks Received:
    zergs? D:

5. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    I wonder that too. They say generated electricity can be used in the waste water treatment. And that'd be awesome if bacteria itself could also degrade some junk. Then this combination could double the benefit. If not then they could just combine different bacteria. There are tons of bacteria, using them is not a bad idea lol.

I read Environmental Science and Technology news time after time that's why microbial fuel cells caught my attention. I'll post if I see anything new.

6. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    This time it's "cyborg" snail. LOL

[​IMG]

The mechanism looks pretty simple

Lol you can read more here:

http://www.physorg.com/news/2012-03-cyborg-snail-electricity.html

[​IMG]

7. Arctucas

Arctucas

Thanks Received:
    A great business opportunity.

I foresee that the U.S. Government will be willing to dump hundreds of millions, if not billions, of taxpayer dollars into a company that tries to develop this.

Of course, you need to be politically connected to the current administration, i.e. donor.

And, of course, the whole thing will fail, but someone could make a lot of money at the taxpayers expense.

8. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    So now we know where lightnings come from for real XD

9. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    thank you for that brilliant political observation. both this and your understanding of how research in general works have given a new hope to the human race.

10. Arctucas

Arctucas

Thanks Received:
    Not sure why my comment (not at all in seriousness) appears to have annoyed you...

11. mauriek

Thanks Received:
    i remember an old Startrek TV episode, a renegade federation Captain using bacteria/ micro lifeform as power source to their Starship, one of the key question from that episode is it humanly ethical using another life form for self benefit specially when that life form refuse to be use as fuel and fight back with electrical shock.. :D

12. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    bump because .... Engineered Bacteria Make Fuel from Sunlight

Gimme fuel gimme fire ... cyanobacteria FTW

That's interesting even if it's not practical

ScienceDaily

13. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    Power-packed bacterial spores generate electricity

[​IMG]

With mighty bursts of rehydration, bacterial spores offer a new source of renewable energy

By smearing spores onto a flat piece of rubber about the length of a human hand, scientists developed a spore-powered generator. In arid conditions, parched spores pull the rubber into a curve, while wafts of wet air plump up spores and spring it flat again.

The team linked the rubber to an electromagnetic generator, so that every flex produced an electric current. Since the spores tote such a high energy potential - more than 1000 times that of mammalian muscle - energy-harvesting devices based on the dormant dynamos could be linked into municipal grids to contribute a power boost to homes and cities.

[​IMG]