1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Support for WINXP will go bye bye!

Discussion in 'General Software' started by 95Viper, Jul 12, 2011.

1. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
  2. enaher

enaher New Member

Thanks Received:
    That's almost 3 years of life:roll: damn xp has lasted a VERY long time, Am I the only that didn't like it till SP2 and swaped it for Vista as soon a Vista SP1 hit the market, and finally fell in love with Se7en:rockout:.
  3. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    This has been known for some time.
  4. _JP_

_JP_

Thanks Received:
    I'll be keeping mine running. After I upgrade, I'm gonna build me some old school DX9 Rigs!
  5. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    I want Win XP 2 (Windows NT 5.4) which is basically Windows XP with a DirectX 11 capable kernel (ctrl+alt+del is full screen like Vista/7 breaking the GPU out of any/all full screen applications) and mulithreaded GUI (XP loves to look up the interface when doing things like extracting RARs. It should also be available in 64-bit only.

If they did it, Vista and 7 sales would abruptly end. Stupid, stupid, Microsoft for attempting to reinventing the wheel and failing miserable at it.
    hellrazor and AsRock say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    Yes, it has.:)

However, this blog post, by Mr. Rose, just came out July 11 and serves as a reminder of the impending date of EOS(End of Support).
  7. Frick

Thanks Received:
    That's like your opinion man. I'm not going there again as we've had this discussion before but a lot of people like 7 more than XP.
  8. hellrazor

hellrazor

Thanks Received:
    I'm still very much a fan of XP but like Ford said, there are just a few big things that needed to be fixed. Unfortunately Microsoft decided that we all wanted EVERYTHING to be fixed, and as such created an unfortunate trade-off of fixing those things and then "fixing" other things that were completely unnecessary.

One of my biggest gripes about 7 is that all the services seem to tie into each other without documentation and for seemingly no good reason (Exhibit A: I can't turn off the Power management service without making Windows Audio unstartable, WTF is with that?).
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
    FordGT90Concept says thanks.
  9. Thatguy New Member

Thanks Received:
    alot of people don't know tires are made out of synthetic rubber either.
  10. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    I like Xp. It was really good. If it had built in ahci/raid drivers, better usb support and power settings it could have been much better. I know people who use xp sp3 and skipped vista and even 7 sp1. They said they will wait for 8. It's obvious that xp will disappear really soon. All machines come with pre-installed windows 7 plus all new things will drop xp support (msn, ie9/10, new games etc). Having new machine with xp makes no sense now just like having an old machine with windows 7 or vista.
  11. Frick

Thanks Received:
    True true. This discussion is pointless.
  12. Bundy

Bundy

Thanks Received:
    Yes it is. The realists of this world will move on anyway.

For me, it is clearly obvious at our work where we have laptops that have been swapped from one OS to the other. Win7 is significantly faster and easier to use. Thats a debate for people with ears though.
  13. Velvet Wafer

Velvet Wafer New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have fought with XP for Years....at some point, the increased comfort, that 7 gave, was much more worth to me, than the performance benefits XP had.
    It was the one of the most long-lived OSes i can think off, and it simply has lost its purpose for me, after 10 years, except maybe, running programs and software, that are simply old, and wont run on 7, or just with major hassle. Thats the only reason, i keep it around on one rig.
    Goodbye, dear Fella!